mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2011 Reign front derailleur Q and shock setup Q

Upgrading the entire drivetrain with the new 2012 XT m780 series components. Sticking with 3x10 gearing and I just need to know which front derailleur? There are 2 or 3 "m78x" front derailleurs and I'm unsure, so if someone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the shock setup, I'm lost (kinda)... I weigh 175lbs and I have at least 200psi in the rear shock and it still feels too soft. It obvioisly needs more psi but is this right? I'm coming from a 2008 Specialized Stumpy in which I used approx. 155psi.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    no idea on the front der Q,

but as far as the rear shock: these bikes are meant to have good small bump compliance without much compromise in big-hit performance.

be sure to check your sag with someone helping you, get seated as you would ride it leaning against something, have a friend push up the Oring, then carefully get off the bike without bouncing it. the O-ring should have slid about 1/2" down under your own bodyweight. (1/2" is 25% sag, and that is just a good starting point, you can run more or less of that's your preference) it's my preference to run only as much PSI as it takes to avoid bottoming out, which un-coincidentally is about between 25-30% sag. same for the front, just remember to work out what length 25% of the total travel is.

basic suspension 101 for ya, hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    yeah, i had a reign 1 (2011) and the RP23 needed quite a bit more air than my body weight in PSI. Checking sag is a good starting point.

Mess around with it, but definitely do not limit yourself to your body weight PSI. Max PSI is prob 275-300.

Another note----This is a RP23 right? There are shim mods and smaller air cans available that can be used to fine tune this shock to your liking. You probably have a XV air sleeve on there now, and there are normal volumes sleeves available if need be. Usually heavier people need to do this (smaller air sleeve can help to firm up the suspension), and you appear to be right on the edge of what I would consider a "bigger rider".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. I've known about the 25% sag thing as that's how I setup my Stumpy and it's why I posted bc I was afraid of going 200+ psi. I kind of always thought these shocks weren't supposed to exceed a rider's body weight since it seems counter-intuitive from a logical standpoint, but hey, I'm not intuitive and I'm not logical either. Seriously, I was always under the impression that if you weighed 150lbs then you don't exceed 150psi, 160lbs don't exceed 160psi, 170lbs don't exceed 170psi and so on and so on... I guess that's old school? That's technology for you, always changing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wouldnt focus on the pressure but on what feels right once you set the sag. I found this bike to be very finicky in terms of air pressure and took a while to get it right. I was either very compliant in the little stuff( and bottoming out) or i was bottomless and it rode lousy in chattery stuff.

I changed the air sleeve to a lower volume and i went from running 195# to 175# (i weigh200# with my gear on)

To further confuse things the feel of the bike is different at the same psi depending on where the rebound setting is. Lets say you are riding at 175# want more rebound damping. When you add rebound you will find the compression performance CHANGES slightly. Sometimes better... sometimes worse. Im going to assume the circuits are tied together somehow.

You will be amazed when you get it right and feel the difference in the propedal switch. Ive actually looked down to see if i had a flat! It is that apparent. Very, very active for blasting downhill.

fyi I have always set the sag and psi in the propedal mode (on)

gluck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm using 220psi and that can't be right, especially since you weigh 200lbs and were using 195psi. At least you weren't using more than your weight. It doesn't seem right that I'm using more than my weight and then some. I have to keep it in "propedal as well. Forget about using "Open" because it's too mushy and bouncy in which it feels like I need to add more pressure! Sure, there are 6" of travel, but the o-ring is always pushed all the way down (usually off) the shaft.

I've posted a thread about adding a shim to my shock to reduce volume. Hopefully that will help me out.
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5