mtbr member

2011 reign 1 headset reducer

I have a 2011 reign 1 and I want to put a 160mm talas 36 on it. I need to purchase a headset reducer because my fork is 1 1/8th but I'm curious to see if anyone has just purchased the reducer cup on the bottom and used the top half of the headset? If not which complete headset did you purchase and has it been pretty noise free? My bike has the overdrive headset so does that mean the steerer of my fork is 1/4 at top instead of 1/8?

It will be nice to slack it out a bit

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have not use a reducer cup...but do you even need one? Cant you just run a different crown race instead? As for the top cup, you bike would have to be Overdrive 2 which I believe came out in 2012, so your top cup should be 1 1/8

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    HEADSET CROWN RACES FROM RWC
    This crown race allows for a 1 1/8" steer tube to be compatible with a 1.5" headset cup.

mtbr member
    Yea it's overdrive 1 so that means the top is still 1 1/8? What is overdrive 1?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    overdrive one (at least on giant mtb) means 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 tapered headtube. So your current top headset will work without any other parts. Even if it was Overdrive 2 I believe the Outside diameter for the top cup is still 44mm they just use a different bearing, compession ring and other small parts.

mtbr member
    Beautiful. I'll purchase that crown race and call it a day. Anyone interested in a float 32 150mm?