mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2011 Giant Reign with 180 fox float (pics)

Just built this bike up and thought I'd share. Only one ride so far but I like this setup quite a bit. The trails around here tend to be steep logging roads up and super steep on the way down. I'm a big dude (240 6-3") that puts my equipment through hell in the PNWet. I still have to get the shock dialed but I hit some drops and jumps with it on the first ride and it felt good. Just ordered the Bionicon chainguide for it. Here's some pics.

2010 Glory custom FR
    What geometry did you end up with?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    With my phone.
    64 head angle (on fork stantion)
    66 seat tube angle (on seatpost)
    14-5\8” bb (floor to center of bb)
    Otherwise just right for the steeps....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The numbers seemed out a bit. Just checked my garage floor and it's on a 1.5 to 2 degree slope......oops. Add 2 degrees to those numbers above.
    66 h.a.
    68 seat tube
    I looked at giants website for how they measure the seat tube angle and it not off the post alone btw.

mtbr member
    How do you like it? How big drops/jumps do you take it on? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like it so far. I dropped a 2 ft. drop so far on it. Don't want to push it bigger until the rear shock is more dialed. It seems to pedal pretty well but I did notice the difference in how it pedals standing up. Because of the chainforce stiffening the suspension it feels a tad bit like an old biopace chainring. I came off a singlepivot so the difference was noticeable. It jumped really well and really digs in when braking. I really like how light it is as well. If the frame holds up to my abuse it will be a winner. More reports to come.....

mtbr member
    You replied to my Reign thread and this bike really makes me wanna buy one. 180mm too much for me though up front. I'd probably get 150mm or 160mm.

Frame size? Where did you buy the frame? How much does the bike weigh?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It weighs 33-34 lbs. It's a large (I'm 6-3) and it fits perfect. I got it frame only from a friend. Have the Bionicon chain guide coming any day. I'd say that unless you ride the nasty stuff a fox 160 would be perfect for the bike. I ran a 160 before the 180 and it's a super capable fork. I just like my bike with oodles of cush up front.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Get rid of that air can and get a 2.25" stroke coil. WIN.

No Stranger to danger....
    nice bike and great photos mate, ive got a 2012 reign 2 and i love it, great value bikes, and they ride like a dream,.. once again love the photos, great setting, great looking trail, nice air, n to cap it off ,very creative with the bike next to the steam, good enough pics for a bike mag, cheers from oz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks alot. I'm a bit of a photo geek as well.
    Got my second ride on the bike today. I ended up shimming the air can and it made a great change to the rear suspension. Same pressure and great ramp up. Stoked on the ride now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ended up really liking the current setup I figured out. The shimming did wonders on bottomout. Hit a few more drops today and it did really well on them. What I noticed the most was how well it pedalled with the psi figured out on the rear shock. You can actually stand and pedal and it doesn't suck energy, yet when pointed downhill it's plush and predictable. Also installed the Bionicon guide today as well. It works great and you don't even notice it's there..no drag.
    Here's a few more photos from today's ride.
    Yeah, Washington is beautiful....

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    Awesome ride!! I'm also in the process of building a 08 Giant Reign X with a full Shimano XT drivetrian, brakes, rotors & wheel setup. Waiting on the last bit of components to ship in then the building process begins. Seeing your bike got me super excited lol!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks

You are going to love it. Been a long time since I've dove into nasty sections with the confidence I save for my DH bike. On a bike I pedaled to the top!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have been riding the snot out of this bike and like it more every ride. Whistler Valley trails, Squamish BC pedalfests and shuttles, Washington Cascades, and our local bike park. I just love how light it is and how well it pedals for a 6" do all bike. So good!
    More pics!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can't stop riding this bike

Only issue so far is I replaced the DU bushing two weeks ago and need another already. May have to get the needle bearing DU kit on there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thats some beautiful trail!! Loving the water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What a nice place for mtbiking with a really awesome machine¡