mtbr member

2011 Anthem X29 BB size???

When I measure it I get 92mm!?! I that right? I can't find any cranks for that size...

lurking no more
    all HTII and GXP will work with apropriate pressfit bb

mtbr member
    no I mean the width 68/73 or longer...my measurement just seems like its way wider than my Tallboy...I don't wanna by a crank on eBay and it not fit

lurking no more
    Anthem 29 use presfit bb which is internal bearings build
    talboy use external bb , but the cranks spindle is the same, just have to use different bb for these bikes
    (73mm bb on talboy + outer bearing will give You ~92mm)

mtbr member
    thanx,
    would an Extralight 68mm fit??? by any chance

mtbr member
    If it would work on your Tallboy it will work on the Anthem. One just has an external bearing (Tallboy) and one has the bearing internal (Anthem). The crank is the same. Bottom bracket is different. Both do the same job. So, if it works for the Tallboy it will work on the Anthem.
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sorry to reopen this thread but working on a 2011 Anthem X 29er build and I have questions about the bottom bracket. I am trying to put on it a Saint M810-2 crank 2x9 drivetrain I already have so I don't have to spend a lot. I see multiple BB sizing out there.

The forum says I can't post links yet... but

A Giant spec pdf i found says the frame uses BB71
    The MTBR interbike 2011 Anthem X 29er video says the frame uses BB86
    And this current thread talks about 92mm so is that BB92?

I guess more specifically I would like to know what BB works with the Saint M810-2.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    kmclane, if you look at your bottom bracket you will realize that the you only need to cups pressed in to the frame. The type of crankset you are using does not make a difference on the press fit bottom bracket. 2012 Shimano BB92 Bottom Bracket - Mountain - Competitive Cyclist
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Excellent thread with good info. I own a Tallboy and recently broke down the crankset (XTR) and bottom bracket assembly to re-lube and tighten things up (there was a little creak). The bottom bracket was indeed a little loose. I noted that the Tallboy requires a little spacer on the drive side for the 3 ring crankset. I'm asumming that puts the chainline in the proper position and/or makes the spacing correct for the crank assembly on the non-drive side.

Anyway, a buddy needs a budget built 29er for Leadville and I recommended the 2011 Anthem X 29er 1 frameset on clearance. He got the frame and the shop pressed in a Shimano bottom bracket (I assume it was the BB92 linked above). He has some XT FC-780 cranks on order. I'm wondering if a spacer is required on the Anthem for proper crank fitting like the Tallboy? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi,
    No spacer required if the bb is 92mm wide,which the Anthem 29er is.
    Thanx
    Max

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX LLOYD View Post
    Hi,
    No spacer required if the bb is 92mm wide,which the Anthem 29er is.
    Thanx
    Max
    The bottom bracket they pressed in looks to have a spacer on the drive side. An XT M780 fits perfectly so obviously they knew what to press in.

Currently the bike weighs 24.6 lbs. with standard tubes a Racing Ralph on the front and SB8 on the rear. Tubeless and lighter tires for Leadville, like Furious Fred's or Renegade S-works should get it under or right at 24 lbs. Cool.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW View Post
    The bottom bracket they pressed in looks to have a spacer on the drive side. An XT M780 fits perfectly so obviously they knew what to press in.

Currently the bike weighs 24.6 lbs. with standard tubes a Racing Ralph on the front and SB8 on the rear. Tubeless and lighter tires for Leadville, like Furious Fred's or Renegade S-works should get it under or right at 24 lbs. Cool.
    That is correct, if you have a Shimano BB press fit cups the 2.5 mm goes on the drive side between the cup and the frame. On the other hand, Sram GXP spacer sits between the crankset and the outer part of the press fit cup. So in other words, if you have a GXP press cups there are not spacers in between the cups but you still need the spacer.
    Myrtle Beach Mountain Biker YMCA 62nd Avenue
    http://www.facebook.com/mtbriding

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hmm,its a strange one.The Shimano info says not to put a spacer in if the bb is 92mm wide.I did not and noticed a space enough to fit the spacer! Oh well mite have to put one in! You learn something new all the time.First experience of fitting press fit bb's.
    Thanx
    Max

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just ordered an Anthem X 29 frame and got some mixed information from a couple of Giant distributors about the bb-size (some say it's BB91 and some say it's BB92).

So please tell me, which of these should I buy:

Race Face Press Fit Bottom Bracket BB92 for X-Type

Shimano Press Fit Bottom Bracket Hollowtech II SM-BB91-41A

Shimano Press Fit Bottom Bracket Hollowtech II SM-BB91-41B

mtbr member
    May 2010
    hi i have a 2012 anthem 29 x1 which came with a Sram drive train and i want to change it to Shimano XT. so question is, will the Shimano XT crank fit the Sram GXP Press Fit BB that is currently installed or will i have to change the BB to Shimano Press Fit?

mtbr member
    To add to this what about Race Face Turbine crank, I have the shimano press fit

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here she is. Since this picture was taken, here are the changes: Egg beaters, Gore Ride-On cables, XTR Chain and XT M770-10 crankset. It is still under 25 lbs complete. With the light tires (and tubeless-ness) it will be a hair under 24 lbs. Not bad for slightly over $3K.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Anthem X29 BB size???-giant_anthem_build.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What are the rest of the specs on that bike. Mine is 25.5 lbs with 1800 gram wheels set up tubeless using fairly lite specialized tires. My drivetrain is 2x10 XT with xt brakes. I have a Sid fork and xtr pedals and Easton EC 70 cockpit and seatpost. I am impressed that you got you weight down so low and trying to figure out the differences in the build.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    What are the rest of the specs on that bike. Mine is 25.5 lbs with 1800 gram wheels set up tubeless using fairly lite specialized tires. My drivetrain is 2x10 XT with xt brakes. I have a Sid fork and xtr pedals and Easton EC 70 cockpit and seatpost. I am impressed that you got you weight down so low and trying to figure out the differences in the build.
    The American Classic Race wheels are nearly a pound lighter than your wheelset, they run about 1400 grams. Eggbeaters are about 50 grams lighter than XTRs. The Crank brothers Cobalt post is only around 175 grams. FSA OS99 is light at around 110 grams. It has an EC 70 handelbar. What tires are you running?

The brakes are probably about the same, Hayes El Camino versus XT. My wife's Tallboy has XT brakes, they are great. I have X0 brakes on my Tallboy and they aren't nearly as good. My buddy's Anthem turned out lighter than I expected. It's lighter than my Tallboy. I'm running Easton Haven Alloys. Might need to get a set of AC Race wheels for myself. My wife already got a set.
    Last edited by TCW; 06-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have a Fasttrak team issue on the rear and a Schwalbe Racing Ralph non tubeless on the front. I did not realize those American Classic wheels were so light. I think even with my current wheelset I can get under 25 when I run Specialized Renegade tires, eggbeaters, and my SLR saddle. They are great FS frames.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I have a Fasttrak team issue on the rear and a Schwalbe Racing Ralph non tubeless on the front. I did not realize those American Classic wheels were so light. I think even with my current wheelset I can get under 25 when I run Specialized Renegade tires, eggbeaters, and my SLR saddle. They are great FS frames.
    Just tried out a Renegade S-works 1.95 on my bike. I was running a Small Block 8. I was surprised the Renegade worked as well as it did. Going the Renegade route should save you at least 150 - 200 grams. You don't need to run quite as much Stans due to the lower volume. The AC Race and Haven rims are wide so the narrow Renegades seemed more like a 2.1.

The Anthem will likely run a Furious Fred on the rear and a Renegade on the front. Freds are stupid light at around 370 grams. This will be the ultra-light Leadville 100 setup.
    Last edited by TCW; 06-27-2012 at 06:39 PM.

mtbr member
    shouldn't a Race Face 68/73 crank fit? it came with reg. ext BB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So if using a race face BB92 does it require the spacer? A dealer pressed in the BB but there is still some space (approx 2mm) on the drive side. Is this normal?

THX

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Guys - thanks for any and all help and advice. I have read through most of the forums here, so hopefully these questions aren't redundant.

I recently started a build of a 2011 Anthem X.29 2 with a Truvativ Noir 3.3 crankset. I know that I need a press-in BB92 for the Anthem, but some questions arise:
    - From what I read I won't need any spacers, just the "adapter" press in bearing - is this true?
    - There are two descriptions for the same part number -- The Sram 2012 GXP Team BB92 Press Fit Bicycle Bottom Bracket 00.6415.033.020 -- is listed some places as the entire BB, other places listed merely as an "adapter" - any insight?
    - And if this one part number is an all inclusive solution, is it decent?

All descriptions are pretty ambiguous and leave questions... Any and all help is appreciated!