mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Are the 2011 and 2012 Giant Trance x frames Identical ?

I was wondering if the 2011 and 2012 Giant Trance x frames are identical ?

2012 has overdrive 2 but is that just a headset difference ? Could I put the same headset into a 2011 frame ?
    (This stuff is rather new to me, so I may have said something stupid)

KC Weekend Warrior
    Headtubes are different, but you can use the 2012 headset in the 2011 frame. Overdrive headtube on 2011, Overdrive 2 headtube on 2012. The bottom diameter of the headtube is larger on OD2... but it seems backward compatible - from DIRTRAG:

"The steerer tube on OverDrive 2 tapers from 1 1/2" on the bottom to 1 1/4" on top. Giant says that increasing from 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" on the top resulted in a 30% stiffness increase at the handlebars, with no weight penalty thanks to decreased wall thickness of the new steerer. The 1 1/4" steerer tube and associated bearings fit into headtubes on older Giant models designed with 1 1/8" tapered steerers, so upgrading to the new standard is a option for Giant owners."

http://www.dirtragmag.com/webrag/int...adset-standard

from PINK BIKE: Giant's OverDrive 2 Steerer tube sizing - Is It The Future? - Pinkbike

BTW: a great question.
    '12 Giant Trance X1, Mavic Crossride Wheels, StansTubeless, SPD Pedals

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think the X3 and x4 are the same as 2011.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok cheers guys, I think I have a better understanding now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The frames are identical. In fact, Giant introduced the OD2 thing in 2011, in fact. The frame is designed around the cane creek zero stack 44 upper/ zero stack 56 lower standard. The only thing Giant did to incorporate the 1 1/4 upper portion of the steerer tube is use a upper head set cup with a different inner diameter.