Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

2010 Giant Reign X?...

OK- Maybe someone has already posted this topic, but I found it to be interesting.....

My LBS said he's heard and "seen" pics of the 2010 Reign X which has shaved the down tube pierce and some other changes...He also told me Giant will eliminate the Reign from the lineup in 2010 and stick with the new Reign X (I guess drastically lighter) and the Trance. No in between model. The idea to make the 09 Reign a 68HA was to hold over the crowd until the change.

IMHO the Reign should have never been a 69HA.....

Thought I'd share his comments. Not sure if it's BS or not but kinda makes sense.

Slower But Faster
    Wouldn't surprise me if they did a bike that looked something like a shorter travel of the proto DH frame posted on here a while ago (the one that looked like a carbon copy of an IH Sunday). Could be a very sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You know, there's a good chance that Giant made those Sundays for Iron Horse. So really, they might be "copying" themselves. Personally, I don't see much more resemblance between the Giant and Iron Horse than there is between Trek and Specialized, or Niner and Giant, which are probably the closest of the bunch. Different suspension, different designs.

mtbr member
    Sounds promising, maybe they will give it different shock positions for different travel and an adjustable head angle, that would be sweet. Hope they get it nailed unlike the first few years of the Reign though…

fan of maple syrup
    Very much looking forward to seeing what the 2010 ReignX looks like.

Maybe this is a good place for someone to settle something for me. Before the Reign acheived it's current shape (i.e no pierced down tube, single piece top tube etc - so about 2 models ago), was the only difference between the Reign frame and ReignX frame the fact that the ReignX frame had an ISCG mount?

I was under the impression that other than this, the main differences were a longer stroke, coil sprung shock to acheive the 6.7inches of travel (2.25in stroke instead of 2), and 160mm travel 36mm forks. In which case anybody who's made these changes to their current model Reigns have effectively built themselves a ReignX minus the ISCG mount. Of course, their warranties will be voided though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered

Maybe this is a good place for someone to settle something for me. Before the Reign acheived it's current shape (i.e no pierced down tube, single piece top tube etc - so about 2 models ago), was the only difference between the Reign frame and ReignX frame the fact that the ReignX frame had an ISCG mount?

I was under the impression that other than this, the main differences were a longer stroke, coil sprung shock to acheive the 6.7inches of travel (2.25in stroke instead of 2), and 160mm travel 36mm forks. In which case anybody who's made these changes to their current model Reigns have effectively built themselves a ReignX minus the ISCG mount. Of course, their warranties will be voided though.
    That's pretty much it. The Reign does have the 67HA in which the Reign in a 69HA. Therefore the X is a little more descent friendly......

mtbr member

different frames

There are several differences. The Reign X is a burlier/heavier frame. The Reign X0 also came with a DHX Air and the X1 came with the coil. The geometry is also very different. The RX has a low BB and a slacker HA. If you try to slacken a regular Reign you will end up with a pretty high BB. I have a Marzochhi 170mm fork on my Reign X and the BB is right at 14". Then, as you mentioned, the RX has the ISCG tabs.

I think there is a pretty big difference in frames, but maybe others will chime in. I think some guys have tried to turn there Reigns into Reign Xs. I would like to hear what they thought.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear_powered

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    I think there is a pretty big difference in frames, but maybe others will chime in. I think some guys have tried to turn there Reigns into Reign Xs. I would like to hear what they thought.

TG
    I really wanted the X, but due to weight and the fact that I enjoy climbing, I settled on the Reign. I'm holding out until 2010 - When I suspect the RX will get a MASSIVE face lift.

Giant WILL HAVE TO do somethign with their X line to compete with the other companies.

I've been reading about the Trek Remedy 9 and have been really impressed. It reminds me of what an X would be with that face lift. - It climbs awesome, has a 67HA for decents, FOX 36Talas and is 28 pounds with XTR pedals!!!! That's pretty inviting.

If Giant doesn't produce the goods, my next bike will be the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am looking forward to seeing the new reignX, glory Fr and glory DH go into production. My current reign seems a bit dated and I really wanna get my hands on a reign X but will wait till they shed the weight from it and get rid of the pierced downtube. I would be surprised if they drop the regular reign though, they have everything keyed up to make it and probably won't make any changes too it, just keep producing it and stick 2010 stickers on it.

Slower But Faster
    Something like a AM version of this would be the business!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I already think my 07 Reign X1 is the best "one bike" I've ever ridden. Only improvements I can think of are -

Shave a pound off the frame. My medium is ~9.5lbs w/DHX. Get this closer to 8.5lbs. That would be about 7.5lbs w/ air shock.

Shorten the chainstays a tad, from 17.3 to 17.1. I love the fact that the chainstays are long for a trail bike, I absolutely can't stand the short stays of specialized and trek at DH speeds, but they need to come down just a bit to help out in low speed tight singletrack.

Tweak the suspension to allow for better standing pedaling in granny gear. Rides with lots of technical standing climbs sometimes require adjustments to the boost valve pressure to mitigate monkey motion. It would be great to make it ride like the pivot is slightly lower to remove the need to ever change pressure (I like set and forget when it comes to mid-ride adjustments).

DON"T CHANGE THE HEAD ANGLE OR BB HEIGHT! It's perfect as is.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD
    Something like a AM version of this would be the business!
    except for the seat!

i don't care how well it works...

at any rate, yes an AM version of that bike would be sweet.... heck just swap out the fork for an adjustable travel single crown throw a front derailer on it and i'm already sold!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daugela
    I really wanted the X, but due to weight and the fact that I enjoy climbing, I settled on the Reign. I'm holding out until 2010 - When I suspect the RX will get a MASSIVE face lift.

Giant WILL HAVE TO do somethign with their X line to compete with the other companies.

I've been reading about the Trek Remedy 9 and have been really impressed. It reminds me of what an X would be with that face lift. - It climbs awesome, has a 67HA for decents, FOX 36Talas and is 28 pounds with XTR pedals!!!! That's pretty inviting.

If Giant doesn't produce the goods, my next bike will be the Remedy.
    The regular Reign is a better comparison to the Trek Remedy than the Reign X. Trek doesn't really have a bike comparable to the Reign X.

fraid of heights

mtbr member
    Sim is biting his tongue right now...3rd person etiquette.

2010 Glory custom FR
    Don't say a word, Sim... Andrew is watching
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    When are we likely to see the new Reign X then?

fraid of heights

And closer still

I'm sold, when do we get em...

2010 Glory custom FR
    wow, where did you get them, from?
    I smell some good PS work here :P
    pozdro
    frango

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    I smell some good PS work here :P
    The detail around the chain guide is a give away I think, the chain doesn't go through the bottom roller of the chain guide and doesn't appear to have room to. The bash guard looks like it's been PS'ed over a triple ring set up too.

Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if the finished article didn't look very similar to this, maybe with a bit more flaring of the down and top tubes which appears to be a theme that Giant are working on for 2010.

mtbr member
    Oh, of course...that is a PS without a doubt!

But hey, I give him 5 out of 5 smilies for the effort and really perhaps...erm...shut UP Sim.

Everyone may have some interesting theories to put forth, perhaps even 'we' could all add a little PS>ing to the pic on post #18 to see who can arrive at the closest or nearest approximation to what the design may or may not in fact be like according to various observations and insight.

Should be interesting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

reign or reign x

Man... just when I thought I needed to make up my mind on a reign or reign x

But still which one should I get if I want it to survive the 'not the most gnarly' stuff at the bike parks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow that PS is beautiful! Would love to get the 2010 reign X to compliment my 08 Trance X2 ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    There may be some PS in the photo (chain guide), but that frame is distinctly different from the current Reign (heavier rear, more room under the HS for forks) and the new Glory. My money, that is the new bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Stare at this at your own risk.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast