mtbr member
    Dec 2011

2009 Trance X3 Medium to 2010 X1 Large - Help!!!

OK, I'm 5'11" and got used to riding the medium frame of the X3. I was presented a deal I could not refuse on a used 2010 X1 but it's a large. The Trance X1 is lighter, better components, yada yada but it still feels weird to me. How do I make it feel more like the medium? I've moved the seat all the way forward....thinking shorter stem next? Bars feel really wide too...

TRANCER
    Just curious. What's your inseem? I'm your same height. 34" inseem and longer than normal arms. I went with the Large when i test rode them because it felt right. I guess it all depends not only on height but what kind of build you have.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    Just curious. What's your inseem? I'm your same height. 34" inseem and longer than normal arms. I went with the Large when i test rode them because it felt right. I guess it all depends not only on height but what kind of build you have.
    Bike feels fine in the legs...just feels long (that's what she said) .

Pants are usually 31" length. So sounds like at 5'11" I may be a bit less long legged than you.

wheelie king
    Get a short stem.
    I'm almost 5'11" with a 32" inseam and have been riding a medium Trance. I have a set back seat post with my saddle way back and a 80mm stem with 28" bars. Been thinking I could ride a large. I just bought a used large frame this weekend to try it out. I'll run a zero offset post and maybe a shorter stem. Looking forward to seeing how I like it.

gravity fighter
    You should move your seat back to where it was and start with a short stem. Moving your seat up just messes up your pedal stroke. You can always cut your bars down if they are too wide, but I'll bet the shorter stem will do the trick.
    Enjoy the X1, that's a bad ass bike!

wheelie king
    Hey TranceX, how about a pic of the new ride?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 661lee View Post
    Get a short stem.
    I'm almost 5'11" with a 32" inseam and have been riding a medium Trance. I have a set back seat post with my saddle way back and a 80mm stem with 28" bars. Been thinking I could ride a large. I just bought a used large frame this weekend to try it out. I'll run a zero offset post and maybe a shorter stem. Looking forward to seeing how I like it.
    Let me know! I'm out on injury for a couple of months before I can adjust my bike and ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikecito View Post
    You should move your seat back to where it was and start with a short stem. Moving your seat up just messes up your pedal stroke. You can always cut your bars down if they are too wide, but I'll bet the shorter stem will do the trick.
    Enjoy the X1, that's a bad ass bike!
    thanks. I'll give it a try.

Hey TranceX, how about a pic of the new ride?
    . Will do. Got video...will get still shots.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Pics of said bike.

Pretty much set on dropping the 100mm stem down....not sure how far though....maybe 60mm? Who knows....

Maybe shorter......hmmmm

wheelie king
    Looks good. I would try rolling your handlebars back a little. It will shorten the reach a tiny bit and I think they feel more comfortable that way. 50mm to 70mm stem and experiment with bar height by moving the spacers around.

mtbr member
    That stem is pretty long and would be a great place to start. A higher rise on the bars also but they already look 15-20ish. Try the stem first. I'm 5 10 and always land between sizes also, durn it!

Good looking ride btw.
    Current roster:
    2013 Trance X1 29er
    2013 Mukluk 3
    Banshee Paradox V1
    2011 Defy 1

mtbr member
    take the stem down at least 30mm with 0 rise and lose all the spacers. i don't remember the exact measurements but i think the L frame has a headtube close to an inch longer/taller than the M. getting your hands lower and closer (shortening reach and stack) will help mimic your position on the M frame and give you better control in general.

wheelie king
    I agree, and the large head tube is .8" taller than the medium.
    Last edited by 661lee; 04-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looks good. I would try rolling your handlebars back a little. It will shorten the reach a tiny bit and I think they feel more comfortable that way. 50mm to 70mm stem and experiment with bar height by moving the spacers around.
    Quote Originally Posted by extremedave View Post
    That stem is pretty long and would be a great place to start. A higher rise on the bars also but they already look 15-20ish. Try the stem first. I'm 5 10 and always land between sizes also, durn it!

Good looking ride btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    take the stem down at least 30mm with 0 rise and lose all the spacers. i don't remember the exact measurements but i think the L frame has a headtube close to an inch longer/taller than the M. getting your hands lower and closer (shortening reach and stack) will help mimic your position on the M frame and give you better control in general.
    I agree, and the large head tube is .8" taller than the medium.
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a go and report back.

mtbr member
    shorter stem, wider handlebars.

move seat up

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    shorter stem, wider handlebars.

move seat up
    Seat is all the way up now....Stock bars feel super wide to me already. Going to try the stem to start...

mtbr member

Large

I bought a med trance x2 for my wife and was very impressed with the bike, enough to replace my FSR. Although, I am about 6' and a 32" inseam, I bought a large as the medium seemed just too small for me and dealer was in agreement as well.
    So, I am still using the 100mm stem, flipped up and seat about in the middle of the rails.
    I did a lot of comparison to my specialized stump jumper FSR (L) and overall the trance is just slightly larger, but not enough to make me go to a medium.
    I basically set the trance up with the same distances as my FSR.
    I rode it at the local trail toady and was very pleased.
    I will try to get a pic up of the setup of the Stem stack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would consider going ULTRA short on the stem.

I ride a 2010 medium, I'm 5'11 with 32in inseam legs. I ride a 60mm stem with 760mm bars and I haven't felt trapped at all. Think a 35mm stem and some 720/745 handlebars and you'll feel just right. The saddle position shouldn't matter, but this is why Giant should do a M/L size like Trek's 18.5 virtual.

mtbr member

video to watch

Here is something to consider

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    OK, put a 60mm stem on....feels better. Once my shoulder heals up I hope to give it a good assessment.

wheelie king
    I went from a medium TranceX to a large. Saddle is centered on zero offset post vs. pushed back on offset post. Using a 70mm instead of 80mm with the same bars. The fit feels good and I feel more centered on bike.

[IMG]
    From bike stuff
    [/IMG]

[IMG]
    From bike stuff
    [/IMG]

It was a good move for me. I'm glad I switched to a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You're clearly tall enough for it - I think you could hop on ANY different bike, medium or large and it will feel weird and just different.

I'm 5'9" and went from a medium to a large Reign 2 for this year and glad I did. I like the room and didn't have to adjust it much at all. But it took a little getting used to, especially in rocky technical stuff.

But as someone said above, the head tube IS a full 1" taller. That's a lot. Stem, headset spacer stacks, seat post, etc. I bet you can get it dialed in.