Thread: 2009 Trance X3

mtbr member

2009 Trance X3

Getting back into mtb after 15 years, mainly weekend trails stuff in So CA.

Rode a Trance X4 today, not bad, didn't wow me. But then tried the X3 and was impressed.
    I was going to go for either the X4 or a Spec FSR xc Comp, but now really leaning towards the Trance X3.

Without haggling too much, the LBS would sell the X3 for $1899 out the door, they'll pay the 8.75% sales tax ($166.25).

I'm interested in your f/b about other great choices for bikes around the $1900 (or less) out the door pricing. I'd be interested in hearing about '08 models also.

TIA!

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    Id buy the X3 without question. I rode an 09 X3 at my LBS and then ordered an 09 X2. When I got the new X2 it felt just like the X3 only it was white... they are both great bikes. MTBikeAction magazine just did a "shootout" of the top five trailbikes in the $2500. range and the X2 was the winner, you should check out the article. I have been riding the hell out of mine and it performs very well to me and I am typically used to riding higher end bikes. The Trance is an outstanding value IMO. The price you were quoted seems like a pretty fair deal to me as well, my local shop had their marked at $1899. too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well I can tell you that I had the same dilema as you except I was looking at the Specialized and a 2008 Trance X2 (same basic spec as 2009 X3).

The first Trance I rode was actually a 09 X4 and I felt it rode better than the higher spec'd Specialized. I immediately purchased my Trance X2 and I am in love. Great Bike.

Go Trance ....you wont regret it.

I went with a 08 only to beat the price hike.... I walked away for $1599 plus tax which came to like 1740... so I would tell you that $1899 with no tax aint a bad deal.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I ride giants bikes in part due to a great pedaling platform built into the frame. Specialized bikes are fully depended on a platform for pedaling & I tired of constantly flipping levers durring rides...

mtbr member
    Ugh, decisions decisions. Went into a different LBS today; they had the Trance X4 discounted from $1399 to $1259. Compelling price when compared to the X3 pricing....

The LBS was Two Wheels One Planet in Lake Forest, CA. Their X3 was at $1899 but not negotiable other than discounting accessories.

mtbr member
    I would avoid the X4, mainly due to it's Giant brand rear shock (versus the Fox rear shock which is used in the rest of the line). The Giant shock might perform well, so it could be worth looking into, but I personally wouldn't risk it..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The X3 is certainly worth the extra money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the x3 still comes with a crappy shock and a fork thats really nothing special (all though you can ebay it for enough to buy something special! )

get yourself an X4, use the difference to put an RP2 on it (150 from chain reaction cycles), pawn off the fox fork and get a pike/rev/minute etc etc.

unless you know you're the kind of person whos not going to get the tinker bug at all.. in that case get the higher end bike and just ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    the x3 still comes with a crappy shock and a fork thats really nothing special (all though you can ebay it for enough to buy something special! )

get yourself an X4, use the difference to put an RP2 on it (150 from chain reaction cycles), pawn off the fox fork and get a pike/rev/minute etc etc.

unless you know you're the kind of person whos not going to get the tinker bug at all.. in that case get the higher end bike and just ride it.
    Hmm...No one I know uses the propedal feature on their Trance X so the Float R shock on the X3 is not a big deal and honestly a Fox F120RL is a better fork than ANYTHING from RockShox or Manitou. I was a shop manager and mechanic for years. Even expensive RS like Black Box Reba's and are plastic toys internally. Fox and Marzocchi are the real deal.

FYI, SRAM just sold Rock Shox off since it was not a profitable division (and they haven't been since the mid 90's) so good luck getting anyone to help you if your RS fork take a dump. One of my friends is fighting with RS and Specialized to see who will fix or replace his Recon fork that is less than 6 months old and has locked up twice.

mtbr member
    Do you have a link regarding the sale of Rock Shox?

BTW - while I think the F120 is a great fork, I think my Pike and Reba were better forks (even if there are more plastic internals). Reliable, plush, stiff, highly adjustable, and easy to service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    Do you have a link regarding the sale of Rock Shox?

BTW - while I think the F120 is a great fork, I think my Pike and Reba were better forks (even if there are more plastic internals). Reliable, plush, stiff, highly adjustable, and easy to service.
    I looked but its not public yet. The manager at my LBS told me the sale and the insuing questions about who is responsible for warranties was why its has taken 3 weeks to get the parts to fix my friend's brand new Recon. We were lucky to get parts...no one (Specialized or RS) was willing to exchange or service the fork for the time being.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    Hmm...No one I know uses the propedal feature on their Trance X so the Float R shock on the X3 is not a big deal
    kinda going against yourself there man.. the floatR always has propedal "on". you cant turn it off, you cant lessen it, you cant do anything except adjust rebound. i think an RP2 is a perfect shock for the trance. you can turn propedal completely off.. you dont need more than one propedal setting if any at all, but its nice to have that buttery smooth no propedal feel. you are however paying extra for a middle of the road float R..
    and honestly a Fox F120RL is a better fork than ANYTHING from RockShox or Manitou. I was a shop manager and mechanic for years. Even expensive RS like Black Box Reba's and are plastic toys internally. Fox and Marzocchi are the real deal.
    you're nuttier than a pecan log!

im hopefully picking up an x2 for a steal of a deal.. the f120 will be off the bike instantly.
    FYI, SRAM just sold Rock Shox off since it was not a profitable division (and they haven't been since the mid 90's) so good luck getting anyone to help you if your RS fork take a dump. One of my friends is fighting with RS and Specialized to see who will fix or replace his Recon fork that is less than 6 months old and has locked up twice.
    .. being a shop manager and all, why didnt you take the 5 minutes and spend the 25 cents to replace the very simple, easy to service o-ring on the rebound leg that leaks on all of them?