mtbr member

2009 Trance VS. Anthem X2

So I went to three different shops today looking to find an '09 Trance X2 to see, with no luck. But the shop's did have quite a bit to say...

Shop #1:

In a nutshell, Your wasting your money getting the Trance over the Anthem. The Trance is WAY heavier (like many pounds heavier) than the Anthem and will be noticeably slower on the trails and much harder on the uphills. (Does anyone have the weights for these two bikes in their stock form?)

Shop #2:

Looked at their inventory, mostly BMX/DJ bikes, left within 3 minutes.

Shop #3:

The choice is yours on which ever is more comfortable. They weigh virtually the same and the component specs are so similar that it would be tough to make a choice based on that. They had a Trance X3 there for me to sit on.

My Situation:

I believe within the Giant brand, a medium would be my size. I stood over a medium sized Anthem and the top tube was pretty much intruding into my junk! I then stood over a medium sized Trance and felt much more comfortable on it. I sat up on the seat of the Trance and felt very good on it. I ride a 19" Fisher Piranha right now and It's just WAAYY too long for my liking, the Giant felt much more suitable for me. And also, I think the white Trance looks MUCH nicer than the Blue Anthem.

What is your take on this. Please reply, I need all the insight I can get on this situation.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have a look through this forum - same question has been asked plenty of times.

Its not simlpy a case of whichever bike fits best or is lighter etc - it depends a lot on the type of riding you want to do.

If you can enlighten us more on what you want from the bike we can give you better advice.

Personally - I'd want both!