mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2009 reign x on a thule 591 roof carrier

just wondering if anybody knew if the thule 591 roof rack would fit a reign x, im a bit skeptical about it because of the pierced down tube (where the rack is supposed to clamp on), has anybody had any success with it or is it a no no. just trying to find out before i buy. thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    NOT reccomended

I can vouch for this myself!

Picked up my Reign X from its previous owner with no other choice than to mount it on my Thule 591 rack (I owned a saloon car at the time), and it was very very dodgy. I had thought to take some rope along with me, to make sure the bike wasn't going anywhere, and thank god I did otherwise it would have just fallen out of the rack.

Honestly, good as the Thule 591 carriers are, they really don't work at all with a Reign X. Now I've got a hatchback, the bike goes in the car 99% of the time. But if it had to go on the outside of the car, it would go on a hatch mounted carrier instead now. The 591's work brilliantly for any bike with a conventional downtube, but the Reign X does not come into this category sadly.

Engineer The Future Now!

Get a 594 Sidearm

Get a 594 Sidearm. I had a 598 Criterium (which appears to be almost exactly the same as the 591) but it does not allow for enough adjustment to grab properly above the pierced section of the downtube. I rigged it up until I got the Sidearm but I put it up there muddy one day and scratched the hell out of the frame where it rubbed Anyhoo the 594 Sidearm is a more secure fit than the 598/591 style anyway IMO. It locks down the fork/wheel which prevents a lot of the sway found in the 598/591. They are F L E X Y. Get the Sidearm, the extra money is worth it for a better system and it will work with anything from XC bikes to DH bikes regardless of frame design. Only issue you may run into is on slack bikes w/ looong wheelbases.
    holy...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    cheers, i didnt think it would fit, ive been looking at that thule 594, they look good and just what i need but they dont sell them here in the UK, which is a bit odd, looks like il have to get a fork mounted one instead, didnt want to go down that route but no choice really (unless someone knows of a dealer in the UK).