mtbr member
    May 2006

2009 Giant Anthem X2 CREAKING NOISE

I just had all frame bearings replaced by an authorized Giant dealer and it still produces a creaking noise when the suspension is compressed. The mechanic did not replace the hardware, because he believed those bits were in good condition. I am not mechanical. I have no idea where it could be coming from, but I firmly believe the noise is coming from the frame. I can reproduce the creaking noise when I sit still on the bike and slowly compress the suspension. ANY IDEAS? PLEASE HELP!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a 2009 anthemX also. The only thing that creaks are my seat post rails.

Hold the seat in both hands and move it to and fro and see if it creaks.

Try standing and pumping the suspension and see if it still creaks.

Check your bolts that hold your chainring to your crank is another popular creak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I had this problem and it turned out to be a loose bolt on the main pivot. I didn't figure it out for like 15 rides and I was about to go insane.

mtbr member
    as mainlane states - seat rails and chainrings are usual suspects, if all your suspension bolts are tight. In my case, the annoying creak is usually my chainring. I do a quick, overall bolt check every 4 or 5 rides, and there is usually something that needs a turn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    I just had all frame bearings replaced by an authorized Giant dealer and it still produces a creaking noise when the suspension is compressed. The mechanic did not replace the hardware, because he believed those bits were in good condition. I am not mechanical. I have no idea where it could be coming from, but I firmly believe the noise is coming from the frame. I can reproduce the creaking noise when I sit still on the bike and slowly compress the suspension. ANY IDEAS? PLEASE HELP!
    I had a creaking noise on my 2010 Giant Trance.

I eventually figured out it was the link that attached to the top of the rear shock. I added a little lube to both sides of the link and it was sweet.

Hope this helps.
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon - Specialized Demo 8 II
    YKYMF - YouTube Channel - AM/DH Vids