DTL
    mtbr member

2008 Trance X1 Wheels, any good?

I should be receiving my 2008 Trance X1 tomorrow that I picked up new for 1800 bucks. My question is are the WTB laser disc trail wheels any good or should I be switching them out for something else? Any input guys?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

check this out

trance x1 wheelset ?s

I had the same question not too long ago. I have the x1 and have been happy with the stock wheelset.

DTL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baklamente
    trance x1 wheelset ?s

I had the same question not too long ago. I have the x1 and have been happy with the stock wheelset.
    I just got my 2008 X1 and I have to take the wheels in to get trued. It was shiped to me so I'm assuming they got knocked out of wack during the trip. Have you had to true the WTB's often after riding? Also how do you like the hayes stroker brakes/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My wheels seem to stay true. Haven't had any problems with them, but I have only had the bike out for about 200 miles.

The strokers, however, are LOUD. They feel fine, but seem to scream and howl after any water hits them. They are my first set of hydros though, so I don't have much to compare to.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my x3 came with the laserdisc trails and the stroker trail brakes and i cant really say anything bad about either. this is my first quality bike so i cant really compare them to anything more high end.

+1 on the loud brakes, when you get them wet they do squeal pretty bad, it only seems to do it when they get just a little bit of water in them...but it goes away when it dries...last time i took it out through some pretty deep streams they didnt make any noise at all...also when i first got the bike i couldnt keep the brakes from locking up, but after breaking them in a bit, i have a lot of control of the breaking power.

some people would prefer a lighter or tubeless wheel but ill keep the laserdiscs on till they need to be replaced...they seem pretty strong

mtbr member
    the rims can be a major pain to mount certain tires on and I am sure there is some easy weight to be lost with different wheels, but they are pretty decent wheels.

DTL
    mtbr member
    OK well I'll run the WTB's and see how they are. The bike is lighter then my 2004 stumjumper fsr. Surprising since the Trance X1 is a beefier frame. As for the stroker brakes they seem to have a longer pull then my shimanos do. Is this just a difference in design or is there some adjusting I can do. Im already aware of the barrel adjusters to adjust reach.

mtbr member
    I have the same wheels on an '08 Reign. I have beat the **** out of them in the Rocky Mountains, and haven't used my spoke wrench yet. I am sure I will kill the rear rim due to rock dings before it goes out of true.

Not blingy wheels, but totally serviceable.

mtbr member
    The wheels are solid and reliable. If you want the brakes to engage sooner you can do various things but some of them don’t work with the Stroker’s. Most people just put more fluid into the reservoir, I’d just leave it though.

DTL
    mtbr member
    I think there is air in the brake lines because they are feeling pretty mushy and should have more stopping power with less effort imo. Just dropped the trance x1 at the lbs for some fine tuning. As far as the wheels go anyone have trouble getting those nevegals off? It just about killed me the other day getting the nevegal off the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You brakes need to bed in. They will get a lot stronger with use. There is no pad engagment adjustment on the stokers so the lever pull is a little longer than with avids but there is also a lot less brake drag.

mtbr member
    It's a awesome wheelset! They came on my reign and I run WTB on all my mountain bikes. The hubs are super smooth and last. The 09 trail wheels are even better....stainless bearings and a few mm wider.
    2008 XL Giant Anthem Advanced Frame for sale (excelent condition) Make me a offer