mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2008 Trance 1 verse 2008 Trance X2????

I have made up my mind that I will be purchasing a new Giant Trance from a dealer. To try to save some money I inquired as to whether 2008 models were leftover in the Trance. He told me that he could sell me a 2008 Trance 1 for 2,000 or a 2008 Trance X2 for 1700. I am looking for some advice as to the model differences. Obviously the Trance 1 is higher spec'd. Also I note that the Trance has 4.2 inches of travel verse 5 inches on the X2. I am wondering if the actual suspension design is different on the two. Was the rear suspension improved for the X series? Is there less pedal bob? Any help would be appreciated. I am excited for my purchase.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you want to seriously race, get the regular Trance. If you're more of a trail rider, get the X. They feel very similar to me as far as pedalling efficiency goes, but the firmer feel of the shorter travel bike feels better when standing on the pedals. That said, you can always stiffen the suspension of the Trance X to feel similar. How do the weights compare?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    To be honest I'm not sure how the weights compare. THe dealer did not have the Trance 1 in stock but said it could be ordered from Giant for $2000. I was drawn to that one as it has much higher components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well I went ahead and ordered a 2008 Trance 1. I called another bike shop who gave me an even better price. Should get the bike this weekend. Thanks for everyones help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the bike. They both handle amazingly well. One thing you might want to consider in the future (or now ) would be a longer travel fork. A Rockshox Revelation or Reba with U-turn would be an awesome upgrade. A lot of Trance riders like a longer travel fork up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks. Hopefully I can get some use before I get the upgrade itch. Question - does the Fox fork that comes with it have lockout?