mtbr member
    Mar 2008

2008 Reign as bighit bike? PLS HELP

Hi Giant gurus!

I am looking at the 2008 Giant Reign to be my second bike. (I currently ride my lightweight Ibis Mojo for XC). I think that Giant's Maestro suspension design will be similar in feel, efficiency and plushness to the Mojo's DW-Link.

I plan to build the Reign (with a Fox 36 TALAS fork, DT 5.1D wheels and 2.4 tires) making it a bighit bike to be able to tackle some light freeride and downhill but still be able to pedal up short and moderate climbs. But before I make a purchase of the frame from the local bikeshop, I would like to ask you the following questions:

1) What is the frame weight of the 2008 Giant Reign with stock Fox airshock?
    2) What is the rear shock's eye-to-eye length and stroke? (Is it a 7.875" x 2.0"?) <- Edited. In my original post I mistakenly put 2.785" x 2.0"
    3.1)What if I upgrade to a 7.875" x 2.5"shock? How much increase in travel <-Edited. In my original post I mistakenly put 2.785" x 2.5"
    3.2) Will the increased rear travel have any frame/seat tube clearance issues?
    and
    4) Is 32lbs a reasonable target weight for my built-up 2008 Reign? (Build specs below)

FRAME: Giant Reign size medium / 18
    SHOCK: Fox DHX Air
    FORK: Fox 36 TALAS RC2
    CRANKSET: Shimano XT 44-32-22T
    CASSETTE: Shimano XT (CS M770) 11-34T 9-speed
    CHAIN: Shimano CN-HG93
    FD: Shimano XT
    RD: Shimano XT Shadow
    SHIFTERS: Shimano XT triggers
    BRAKESET: Shimano XT Servowave 180f/160r rotors
    RIMS: DT Swiss 5.1D
    HUBS: Industry 9 or Hope Pro II
    TIRES: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC
    STEM: Thomson Elite 70mm
    HANDLEBAR: Truvativ Hussefelt DH 2" riserbar
    SEATPOST: Maverick Speedball with remote
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V
    Grips: Oury lock-on
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Mallet
    Rider: 5'8" 160lbs (with gear and pack)

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by titaniumgearsolid; 05-18-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Slower But Faster
    Pretty sure the shock is 7.875" x 2.0".
    Don't know about the shock, 6" of travel is plenty! Leverage ratio is 3:1 so theoretically 7.5" but I think you would get interference issues before using all that travel.
    Weight should be easily achieved, my '06 with a very similar spec is 31.3lbs (link below) and the '08 frames are much lighter.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...20779#poststop

Sounds like a sweet build, be sure to post here when done.

attending to my vices
    why not a Reign X frame?

You should be able to use a 2.25" stroke shock but I doubt a 2.5". Consider a 66SL for more FR orientated stuff. The 36 is more AM than FR.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member

What a great 2 bike combo

There was a post somewhere, that had a build up on a Reign with a longer stroke fox shock that gave it 6.75 inches (I think) of rear travel...and a triple front fork. I think it came to about 35 pounds. The Reign X is available as a frame only and, although it is heavier than a Reign frame, it may have better geometry for what you have in mind. You already have your weight weenie cred with the Ibis, so why not go crazy with the big hit bike?
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, Reign X is already a big hit (ish) bike.

If you check some of the Reign-with-longer-shock threads, the BB gets very high. The Reign X has a nice ~13" BB and almost 7" travel already.

squish is good
    Yes, the bike you seek is the Reign X. It is the big-hit pedaling capable frame Giant offers. I've seen Reign X's coming in at 32 lbs with a few part swaps.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumgearsolid
    Hi Giant gurus!

I am looking at the 2008 Giant Reign to be my second bike. (I currently ride my lightweight Ibis Mojo for XC). I think that Giant's Maestro suspension design will be similar in feel, efficiency and plushness to the Mojo's DW-Link.

I plan to build the Reign (with a Fox 36 TALAS fork, DT 5.1D wheels and 2.4 tires) making it a bighit bike to be able to tackle some light freeride and downhill but still be able to pedal up short and moderate climbs. But before I make a purchase of the frame from the local bikeshop, I would like to ask you the following questions:

1) What is the frame weight of the 2008 Giant Reign with stock Fox airshock?
    2) What is the rear shock's eye-to-eye length and stroke? (Is it a 2.875" x 2.0"?)
    3.1)What if I upgrade to a 2.875" x 2.5"shock? How much increase in travel?
    3.2) Will the increased rear travel have any frame/seat tube clearance issues?
    and
    4) Is 32lbs a reasonable target weight for my built-up 2008 Reign? (Build specs below)

FRAME: Giant Reign size medium / 18
    SHOCK: Fox DHX Air
    FORK: Fox 36 TALAS RC2
    CRANKSET: Shimano XT 44-32-22T
    CASSETTE: Shimano XT (CS M770) 11-34T 9-speed
    CHAIN: Shimano CN-HG93
    FD: Shimano XT
    RD: Shimano XT Shadow
    SHIFTERS: Shimano XT triggers
    BRAKESET: Shimano XT Servowave 180f/160r rotors
    RIMS: DT Swiss 5.1D
    HUBS: Industry 9 or Hope Pro II
    TIRES: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC
    STEM: Thomson Elite 70mm
    HANDLEBAR: Truvativ Hussefelt DH 2" riserbar
    SEATPOST: Maverick Speedball with remote
    SADDLE: WTB Rocket V
    Grips: Oury lock-on
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Mallet
    Rider: 5'8" 160lbs (with gear and pack)

Thank you in advance!
    .................................................. ..
    Last edited by Foamzilla; 05-16-2008 at 01:53 PM.

attending to my vices
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Yeah, Reign X is already a big hit (ish) bike.

If you check some of the Reign-with-longer-shock threads, the BB gets very high. The Reign X has a nice ~13" BB and almost 7" travel already.
    Actually the BB doesn't change with a stroke length change, only an eye to eye length change. That's why people use 2.25" shocks with the same 7.8" eye to eye.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

stroke

i have the lengthin shock stroke to 2.25. it does not hit and it gives you 6.75 travel. it does not effect bb height except when ridding then in the sag it gives you lower bb height. the reign is a great bike with a 36 on the front. mine biult with havic wheels 2.5 timberwolfs, and a float 36 with dues cranks and monkeylight bar comes in at 33 pounds. so lighter tires i can get it below 32. and the 08's come from factory at around 29 pounds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumgearsolid
    Hi Giant gurus!

1) What is the frame weight of the 2008 Giant Reign with stock Fox airshock? 6.4 pounds
    2) What is the rear shock's eye-to-eye length and stroke? (Is it a 2.875" x 2.0"?) `7.875x2"
    3.1)What if I upgrade to a 2.875" x 2.5"shock? How much increase in travel? Um. I dont think this going to work cause there isnt shock at that lenth for that stroke. I have a 05 Reign with a 7.875"x2.25" coil shock and Im pretty happy with the results.
    3.2) Will the increased rear travel have any frame/seat tube clearance issues? Dont know on 08 Reigns????
    and
    4) Is 32lbs a reasonable target weight for my built-up 2008 Reign? (Build specs below) Yes, sounds reasonable. Interestingly you could build an 08 Reign up sub 30 pounds if you could live without the Maverick seat post, swapped to Eastern CNT downhill bars, 2.35 tires and Mavic SX wheel-set.

!
    I have asked guys who have ridden both the Sunday DW Link and Giant Glory down hill bikes how the suspension compares and the definite answer is that they feel very different.

Regarding using a Fox 36 fork,

I have both 05 and 08 Reigns and I think the 36 fork would be particurly good on the 08 R cause it has a slightly forward weight bias with the stock 140mm travel fork. My 05 R (with a 140mm fork) has a rearward weight bias. This rearward weight bias is why I think my o5 R is my favorite for descending. The extra length of the 36 fork should create a longer front centre and slacken the the head/seat angles and thus create a more rearward weight bias. Also, for my tastes, the 08 R's bottom bracket is a bit to low and steering a little to quick so the 36 should help on both counts.