mtbr member

2008 Glory 0 Frame Size Help Before Ordering!!!

*Before anyone spits out the "use the search button"....I did use it more than you know

I am hoping anyone with personal experience, especially BS's, that have done many size ups can help out here. I am 5' 6" barefoot and 155lbs+/- w/gear. With that said...

The Giant Glory 0 size 'extra-small' frame is 15" with a TT length of only 20.9". The 'small' frame is 16.5" with a TT length of 22.3". Seems like the "small" is a better fit than the "XS" I was told I should get on the phone by a bike shop. I am not saying this person was inexperienced, but I am looking for more feedback. However, the size 'Medium" Glory 0 is a 17" with a TT length of 23.2". That is not much difference, to me anyways. To a veteran or an all out professional rider, the differences can be really obvious, but from me not so much as this type of bike is my first FR setup. Is the "small" my best choice in size???

Here is my dilemma: I have made the phone calls and can't find a LBS with this bike in stock in these sizes. Here is where you come in with your experience with fitting bikes to riders. With the type of bike this are you can see what type of riding (FR) I will be doing.

The Glory 0 "XS" frame I believe would be too small. Please help me in narrowing down my size bike needed. I just wish I could size these up before hand in person, but that is not an option at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...and Thanks in advance!!!
    -Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    hey tim, will here. i'd steer clear of an xs unless you come from bmx and like particularly small bikes. of the medium and small, you're on that edge where either bike will fit you, and it comes down to preference. since you dont have a chance to ride them, comparison of last bikes and ride style is all you have to go on. what sizes have you been on in the past? do you like to feel more like your sitting "in" a bike, or more like you're sitting on top of the bike? are you doing more jumpy courses and like throwing tricks, or are you doing a bit of uphill, a bit of dh, a bit of jumps, etc?

the medium will do better if youre doing some ups, riding dh, and a couple jumps. if your doing shuttles of jump trail and tricks are more your thing, most have an easier time on smaller bikes. hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask

mtbr member
    Thanks Will...my last frame was a 17" Iron Horse hardtail. It was definitely an XC bike. But found myself doing some little jumps and small drops, but had to stay away from anything big that I wanted. Before I did any mtn biking, I was into bmx. Not hardcore, but tabletops, quarter & half pipe ramps...all this way back in the day (about 10ys ago).
    My last 17" setup I was told was slightly to big, but this bike also had a long stem, according to a bike shop. And it was kind of a long reach for me.

This new setup I am after is not going to be a DH racer nor will I enter any DH events. This is solely for freeride. I don;t want to get into a different bike, or one with less travel, then find out that my riding style will cause me to spend a bunch of money with upgrading the suspension for more travel. This Glory 0 seems to be what I am looking for and will handle most everything I could possibly throw at it.

In the past, having a 17" when I was really into XC, but what got me into it was originally hitting the trails on a big ole 19" crappy piece of doodoo, but it ws all I was given at the time due me having no income at 12 yrs old and my parents wallet to work with. So I have always had the "siiting in" feeling. Or a bigger than necessary bike as it were.

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated. I hope to hear from more people too...either with this bike or bike shops who have fitted riders with this same issue. It's not really an issue, but its hard to size up when no one has anything local to me. Figured my next best answer should be here on mtbr seeing that there are tons of poeple always on here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It says on the frame 5'4" - 5'7" = small, 5'7" - 5'10" = medium. I'm 5'6." But still
    I was torn bet. small & xs, never the medium. This is bec of first, this forum & the bike shop told me (& it made perfect sense from my own experience with my other bike) that with this type of ride you wanna go smaller. It'll help you turn faster and gives you more control on jumps, and stll remain stable on the downhill due to your wheelbase is still about the same or even more than your small-medium xc bike. Second, a friend who's 5'11 bought the medium and is very happy bout it. Looks right for him too. I bought the small 2 wks ago. Perfect fit. So why didn't I buy the xs? Well if you do the m,ath, 5'6 is stll above the mid-range of giant's size spec - 5'4" to 5'7." I'll give you the bike shop's number if youhappen to live in soCal.

mtbr member
    Thanks 'avid28'...this is exactly the feedback I am l looking for. Your friend is 5' 11" and likes his size medium. Well, that gives me a great indication of how the sizing is now.

I AM I AM
    Hmm, I haven't ridden a DH bike, but I figured I'd share my experience with you anyway considering I'm of a similar size.
    I'm 5ft7 (female) and like you have ridden 17" XC bikes, currently I have a 17" Giant XC bike that has a 570mm top tube so I run a 60mm stem on it.
    I've also owned a 16" Trance which had a 560mm top tube, and after all manner of handlebars & stems I found the ideal stem length to run on it (with 130mm travel up front) was 50mm, this made it confidence inspiring to do a few drops & jumps on (small ones).

Anyway come to my next bike, an all round hardtail to do anything from XC to DH, I went with what I new worked so I got a Giant STP which has a 560mm top tube & feels good with a 50mm stem both for XC and DH.

Anyway if I was you I would probably go for the Small, 22.3 inches is around 566mm (22" is 560mm) top tube and I don't think I'd like it much smaller than that. Besides we breed em big up here - I don't think there is an option of buying the XS in Australia, only S M or L (but the geo seems slightly different, the small has a 555mm top tube) - so there you go maybe get your hands on an Aussie size S!
    Consider that the difference between the three models is 3cm in the top tube between the XS, S & M, it is a miniscule amount but I think it can make a pretty big difference, certainly would if you ran a 80mm stem instead of a 50mm one! Perhaps also consider which gives you better standover, if you have short legs than the XS could be a better option for you?

mtbr member
    Thanks 'ducktape'...my legs are slightly longer than my torso. Thanks for input!!

mtbr member
    Yeah from country to country the sizing is different. Im in Japan now and I bought a Giant XO Large which is a Med in Say America or Aus. Just one thing to remember though, the Glory is - in the context of bikes in its category; a rather heavy bike although MUCH much lighter than many others in its category aswell...so, perhaps from your sizing I would go for the Small as the medium is a whole lot of bike to chuck around. I am much larger and taller than you and I would perhaps still not go for the Medium there, I would like the agility of the Small for more Freeride/Black trial orientated scenarios and use the Medium for more straight line [figuratively] big hit DH trails.

Just my POV though...if you really could get on both of them and try which one felt better it would be, well...better, for you that is. But as you mentioned its hard to get access to one due to your wack LBS not stocking a relatively intelligent range of bikes - unless you live somewhere VERY flat that is!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by WINGA
    Thanks 'ducktape'...my legs are slightly longer than my torso. Thanks for input!!
    We have a medium Glory 1 in our shop now. A guy about your size came in and tried it; too big. Small sounds good. I think you'll love the Glory FR.

P.S. I saw your avatar on Forumammo... LOOK! cupcakes...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input everyone. It is greatly appreciated. Looks like size small seems to be the best size. I'll have to do some more in depth searching to try to find one locally or within reasonable driving distance to me. Plenty of Reign X's locally though...

And 'unclecliffy', I grabbed this pic from a decal/sticker company online that has many "shocker" style stickers. This just happen to be my favorite. And I did see the "Look! Cupcakes" picture the other day. Classic!!! And thanks for the helpful size up comparison.

2010 Glory custom FR
    let me just add my 2 cents
    I say I am 5'7" so 2 years ago I chose Glory DH XS... it was just a little bit too short even with RF Evolve seatpost. Now, I've got Glory size S with straight Thomson s-post and it seems just perfect
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Thanks frango...much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hey Winga I'm 5'4" and have a Small Glory 0, it is the perfect size and I do everything on it. Downhill runs, jumps, drops, xc and lots of climbing. Mine's is the '07 with the 66 ATA travel adjuster which totally helps with the climbs. I say small is best for you. You can't even compare the Glory 0 to the Reign XOs or Glory DHs because all the geometry measurements and angles are a little different on each model. I had the same dilemma (small or x-small) last year and took a chance on the small and it was the right choice.

mtbr member
    Thanks for info chofu99!!!

I really appreciate the input everyone

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    sounds like the small is the way to go! have fun with it!