Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2008 Giant Reign 2 Headset replacement..

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  f_rele 
#1 ·
Hi, i have a 2008 giant reign 2. The headset is getting graunchy despite cleaning/regreasing etc.

Its got cane creek written on it so dropped them a mail regarding replacing the bearings and they replied :

"it's an OEM model made by a separate company under license from Cane Creek. If you have a Giant dealer near you they may have parts for, we do not stock parts for the OEM models. Most likely you will have to replace the entire unit"

Anyone with an 08 reign 2 replaced their headset or bearings? I'm dizzy from looking at headsets and bearings for hours. Can just the bearings be replaced? What ones do i need?
Or any suggestions for new headset, i guess hope, fsa, cane creek etc but no idea which ones are suitable.

Many thanks for any help.

#3 ·
I contacted Giant here, they replied : "Hi,
We have spoken with the warranty department and we can get hold of a headset for you. However it is a open bearing headset and are not as durable as a sealed bearing version. You would be better to replace it with the headset from the Reign 1 which is sealed. They are priced at £29.99 and are in stock at our European warehouse, so just call in and we can get it ordered for you.
Regards,
Giant Guildford Team"

#4 ·
Giant distributor here in Finland replied that they will get one sealed for my reign 1. So this solves the isdue for me for now. But for future reference it would be nice to know if some standard headset like zero stack type would fit. I'm not impressed of the durability and would like to replace it wirh something better than original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.