mtbr member
    Mar 2005

2008 Franken-Reign w/ 160mm & 2.25 shock?

Read all the threads pertaining to the '08 Reign, and though I think I have got it, would appreciate input from the group.

I am building a 2008 Reign from the ground up. I already have a Marz 55 ETA 160mm. I am considering a ROCO-TST R coil, yet the only size they have is a 7.875x2.25.

With the above combo, what is my head angle?

Here is my guess, the 20mm in the fork will decrease 1 degree to 68. The shock with longer stroke will add 1 degree....so I am at 69 again - TRUE?

If true, what are my options to slaken this beast out? Some peeps mentions headset extenders, what are they and how much slack can I get?

Thanks to all the gurus of the angular and leverage nature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

More info

I guess if you do not know where you are starting, you cannot know where you wind up.

The 2008 Reign has an HA of 69 with a 140mm fork and a 7.875x2.0 rear shock.

The feedback on the 160mm fork is positive both in increased travel and decreasing the HA. By increasing the shock stroke, the 6.0 inch Reign becomes a 6.7 inch Reign. Increased shock stroke will raise the bottom bracket, which will be ok, but the change to the HA is of concern.

I am looking for the A2C for the 140mm and the 160mm which will help understand the fork's effect on the HA.

I am hoping to have the HA below 69 for sure, hopefully at 68.

What says you - any takers on this conundrum?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsoul
    The 2008 Reign has an HA of 69 with a 140mm fork and a 7.875x2.0 rear shock.

The feedback on the 160mm fork is positive both in increased travel and decreasing the HA. By increasing the shock stroke, the 6.0 inch Reign becomes a 6.7 inch Reign. Increased shock stroke will raise the bottom bracket, which will be ok, but the change to the HA is of concern.
    You are partly correct. I have an 08 Reign with a 160mm fork, for decending the extra bit of slackness is welcomed, but I do notice the extra height in the cornering which also seems to make the feel longer. Given the choice I would rather start with the 09 Reign and the 68 degree HA, rather than the 08 with 69 degress. For me the price was right on my 08 Reign frame, so that's what I ended up with.

The e2e on the stock shock is 7.875, that is what will have the effect on the HA, so no change there. The stroke being 1/4 inch longer on the Roco will mean a lower bottom bracket and possible more pedal strikes at full compression.

That's my 2 cents in the way I see the changes effecting the bike. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.