mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2008 Alias & Talon

Hey there,
    I am looking into getting a new bike and i was looking at the 2008 Giant Alias and the 2008 Giant Talon. The Talon is $300 more than the Alias at my local bike shop, why is this?
    What separates the two so much that is worth $300

Also does the 2008 Yukon FX have cable disc brakes or hydraulic??

Thanks a lot, Daniel

The Notorious S.L.O

Check the specs on the webpage.....

BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    that doesnt really help me, i can see that but im no expert with bikes and i wanted to know whether there were any major differences or just some parts are better than others, like suspension etc.

Thanks, Daniel

mtbr member
    May 2008
    talon has better shocks and running gear, also the blue/white version is pretty sexy. id say its worth the extra cash. Yea the yukon fx has mechanical breaks rather than hydraulic. I recently bought a 08 talon only to realise i shouldnlt have been such a tight ass and bought a trance X1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for that, the trance X1 is like $2,900, thats a huge gap from the Talon

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    well it turns out that my local bike shop is also a big Scott seller so i was looking at the Scott Aspect 10, thats $1,400......How does this compare with the Talon???
    Are scott bikes as nice a quality as Giant??

Thanks, Daniel

mtbr member
    May 2008
    basically the same parts on em. give both a ride and see which one feels better. although the talon has the air sprung tora's, and costs a bit less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    what are air sprung tora's????
    Are they better or worse than whats on the Scott bike?
    I no nothing about the technical side of bikes, so sorry for being such a newb.

Thanks for all the help, Daniel

Giddy Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by legine
    what are air sprung tora's????
    Are they better or worse than whats on the Scott bike?
    I no nothing about the technical side of bikes, so sorry for being such a newb.

Go with the Giant Talon, it is a fantastic entry level XC hard tail. After a couple of years on this bike upgrade to an X1 duallie, and keep the talon in your stable as your spare old faithful bike.

I assume you are an Aussie.. right?

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    May 2008
    your not going to be able to tell the diff, being your first bike. depends on what you prefer i guess.

use the search feature on the forums also, and google is usually a good way to find things. best way to learn about stuff is too read up on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Im an aussie yes, its not my first bike, ive had an Alias for a few years now and its the perfect bike for me coz i dont really jump that much coz there arent any jumps in my area (eastern suburbs). A nice dual suspension bike would be nice but i dont think i really need one, and the cheapest one being the Yukon SX at $1,495 ( i dont like the FX with mechanical brakes) it all depends on whether my dad is willing to pay that much. If he is, ill go with the Yukon SX ( i think) if not im leaning over to the Talon as a little bit better version of my current Alias ( 2006 model)

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by legine
    that doesnt really help me, i can see that but im no expert with bikes and i wanted to know whether there were any major differences or just some parts are better than others, like suspension etc.

Thanks, Daniel
    ok, you did not indicate your tech awareness level in the OP, not familiar with the overseas models.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    legine, check this thread:
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=128097

I just bought a Talon for $1k from Maroubra Cycles, around the corner from where you live. I chose it over the Yukon dual suspension as it has much better parts and is a lot lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    one question, why do you want a new bike that is almost the same as what you have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Fox
    legine, check this thread:
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=128097

I just bought a Talon for $1k from Maroubra Cycles, around the corner from where you live. I chose it over the Yukon dual suspension as it has much better parts and is a lot lighter.
    Wow how did u manage to et $300 off?!?
    Yeah im gonna get mine from maroubra as well
    I need a new bike as my Alias is a 14" frame which is too small for me now (seat cant go any higher) and its looking a little worse for ware after almost 3 years of constant use.
    Is blue/white the only Talon colour option??

Thanks, Daniel

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I picked up a Giant 2008 Talon about 8 months ago now, and I must say that I am very pleased with the purchase. It is my first mountain bike that I have purchased, but I am not new to riding however.

When I made my purchase, I did my research on hard tails after visiting a LBS and seeing a few models.
    I was originally tossing between the 2008 Alias, and the Talon, and although both felt very similar when taking them for a test ride, I decided to pay a little extra and get the Talon which apart from some different parts, features the remote locking of the shocks, which the Alias did not include.

This feature is something that I use on every ride, and had I purchased the Alias with its manual locking mechanism would have driven me mad.

To answer your other question about the colour, the Talon comes in both white/blue, and green/black.