mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. 2006 Trance frame: lower shock mount reliability issue?

Hey,

I'm about to buy a 2006 Giant Trance as it is pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for (price, geometry, etc...).

However, I'm a bit concerned about the lower shock mount. It seems OK in the catalog, but for the production model, they drilled 2 additionnal holes in order to mount the protective carbon thingy on the frame. These 2 holes are certainly not going to improve the strength of the area and I'm quite concerned about that. Apart from that, I'm quite in love with the bike.

Does anybody have opinions on this issue?

Should I trust the company and just buy the bike? I heard Giant has a great warranty policy...so I guess if the frame fails in this area, they will take care of me? Right?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Giant put 1 water bottle mount on the downtube it will not affect the reliabilty at all.
    Just buy the bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gambo2166
    Giant put 1 water bottle mount on the downtube.
    ...and 2 additional holes (one on each side) on the aluminum part welded on the frame that lowers the lower shock mount. These 2 holes are what I'm concerned about. They were not there in the catalogue, but the production frame has them so that you can bolt the carbon guard at 3 points on the frame.

It is still very likely that I'll buy the frame since I'm quite confident that the company will stand behing their product and take care of me in case something bad happens. I'm not TOO worried for me since I'm not very hard on bike parts. However, I'd be very worried for people who don't know how to tune their shock. I'm quite sure the design will not last very long if it is submitted to frequent bottom-outs.

Opinions are still welcome!

mtbr member
    I can't imagine what do you mean. Take same photo of the difference if you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The production frames have an additional hole approximately where I added a circle (actually the part is different...they didn't only drill a hole in there). Unfortunately, I only have to rely on my memory and I hope I remember this thing well. I may have to go back to the shop just to double check.

Anybody has a pic of a 2006 production Trance frame?
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.
    The production frames have an additional hole approximately where I added a circle (actually the part is different...they didn't only drill a hole in there). Unfortunately, I only have to rely on my memory and I hope I remember this thing well. I may have to go back to the shop just to double check.

Anybody has a pic of a 2006 production Trance frame?
    Very interesting indeed. I was wondering how they were planning on holding that guard on using only the 1 bottle mount, now we know they also figured it wouldn't be strong enough only attached w/ 1 screw/place. If you can grab an actual shot of a production model it would be really great.

Personally I'm considering buying a frameset from '05 to keep and "blue print" for if/and/or when my T3 needs replacing as I DON'T like the new design at all. As for stiffinening up the rear it might well be a truth to that - I talked to a friend who owns a machine shop and he said it could add stiffnes to the frame, but not too the rear. He also told me the actual shock should/does not play into the stiffness of the rear w/ the pivot arrangement they use. Was asking as I have a "bit of play in the chock bushings due to these bikes being "production" bikes and everything doesn't necessarily line up/run exactly square and that's why I'm considering the other frame to pick it right down and make sure everything is lined up and runs exactly square the way it should and in effect "blue print" it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm coming back from the lbs. The holes are actually much higher (closer to the downtube) than what I indicated on the pic above. I still think they weaken the structure, but maybe not that much.

We'll see next season how it hold up...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anyone else bothered by the pierced downtube design with the lower shock mount below the frame? The carbon fiber bash guard and designed provisions (ie the threaded holes) for the bash guard makes me wonder if Giant has concerns about protecting the shock too....

Just curious, as I'm trying to decide between a Trance and a Fuel EX.

MTB B'dos
    Why not look around for an '05 model Trance instead then, we all know how they ride and hold up and there must still be a few hanging around the US.

I actually was sposed to be getting the Fuel EX7 and hadn't heard of the Trance, but for some reason there was just delay after delay with TREK getting them out and I was tired of waiting so after a suggestion and some research I got my Trance3 and very happy I did. I have really enjoyed my first year on the Trance and because of loads of miles put in I've done some upgrading and have it built to T2 specs now with some spares hanging round to get to building up another bike.

Quote Originally Posted by nor_cal_rider
    Anyone else bothered by the pierced downtube design with the lower shock mount below the frame? The carbon fiber bash guard and designed provisions (ie the threaded holes) for the bash guard makes me wonder if Giant has concerns about protecting the shock too....

Just curious, as I'm trying to decide between a Trance and a Fuel EX.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics