mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2006 Trance Frame

Hi, I have just bought a 2006 Trance 4 (UK) frame. I bought it off someone who garaged it without using it for a year who bought it of someone who looks as though they used fairly infrequently. To me It looks in great condition for the year. However, before I build it up with components from my hardtail what checks/maintenance do people recommend? How do I go about checking each of the bushings for instance? I've never owned a full-suss before so would welcome any advice.

Also, it needs a new headset and I was thinking the FSA Orbit Z looks good for the money or would a more expensive headset be a better bet in the long run?

Cheers in advance for any advice, Slapster.

mtbr member
    the main check i'd recommend is the suspension bolts and bearings.
    pull all the pivots apart and check how smooth the bearings spin. repack or replace as necessary. make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec when reassembling and check them for the first few rides to make sure they aren't loosening. loctite as needed.

remember - some of the pivots have small spacers between the frame and bearing - make sure you pay attention to the orientation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Many hanks for the reply I'm assuming that I repack if they spin smoothly and replace otherwise.

mtbr member