mtbr member
    Sep 2004

2006 Trance 4 and 150mm forks?

Hi oldest daughter has bought a trance 4 second hand and is thinking of putting on a Maz Z1 Light 150 mm fork? Is this too much, will it rip the headtube off.? Her other alternative is a Pace 130mm fork? Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't risk it. I'm not sure how good Pace is, but 130mm is defnitely as tall as I'd go. If her headtube does go, it's going to hurt. Also, the geometry will be completely messed up. The bb will be very high, and all the angles will be approximately 2 degrees slacker than it was designed for. The Trance handles awesome as it is. I have heard of people loving 120mm travel forks on their Trances, so if she could get something with 130mm travel and wind down (like U-turn), that would be the perfect scenario.

Slower But Faster
    The 130mm Pace is the way to go, as said above 150mm will mess with the handling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks folks I thought I had read that Giant warrent the older trance frames to 140mm? True or False?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i dunno.. im about to replace my 130mm talas with a 140mm minute on my trance in about half an hour though. it handled MUCH MUCH better at 130mm than the stock 100mm..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'll second the 130mm being good - I put a 130mm TALAS on my '05 Trance frame from new and it was perfect. Be careful - a PIKE may only be 10mm longer in travel but it's 20mm longer in crown height - Marzocchi's are also generally long for their travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I put a 140mm pike on my 06 trance and love it. No issues at all. Make sure you have a giant dealer put it on to not void your warranty......so I've heard.