This space for rent!

2006 Trance 2 - First ride!

Hey all,

After reading most of the Giant threads on this site, and test riding the T2 at my LBS for a couple hours the last couple days, I finally said yes, and brought one home today! After moving my bar ends over from my old bike (Fisher Sugar 3+ with variety of older parts), I was ready to hit the trail. It was cold out, maybe 46 degrees, but sunny. Usually time myself on this part of the ride. Couple miles singletrack, raises maybe 300 feet. Then a 3/4 mile section on road, raising another 300 feet. Finally, back on singletrack, another 1.5 miles raising about 400 feet, with plenty of ruts, tree roots, and rocks.
    Just to clear the variables, my Fisher weighs about 31 lbs, and is probably in need of a fork rebuild, it's Pyslo XC has been leaking oil a bit lately, and is a little spongy. With the T2, I also picked up a pair of new Nike shoes, which were much stiffer than my old Lake shoes. I usually don't perform as well in cold temps, so that was hurting me a bit today. But...
    I covered the all-uphill section of my ride described above in 38 minutes flat. Previous best was 42 minutes last summer, and more recently, about 44 minutes last week! Damn! This bike just climbs like crazy. In the really rutted climbing I was about 1 gear higher on all sections than before. Downhill it felt very nice and manuverable, maybe a little skittish though, due to it's smaller Hutchinson 2.1 tires (which measure about 1.9 actually), as compared to my Specialized 2.1 2Bliss tires on the Fisher. I've got a little adjusting to do, to get the seat a little lower and back farther. I nearly took a trip over the bars due to the more forward position than I'm used to. I had to use my old 135mm stem on the T2 to simulate my position on the Fisher. Looks like I'll end up getting a 130mm in place of the stock T2 110mm stem. These are just minor fine tuning things though...
    Long story short, I'm very impressed with this bike. By the end of the ride, I had trimmed about 10 minutes off my normal hour and 15 minutes for this loop. The comparison to the Fisher probably isn't totally fair, as many of the parts it are probably 6+ years old, like the Cook Bros crankset. But still, saving 10 minutes is pretty significant. Take it for what it's worth, but the Trance is a kick-ass bike.

Chuck

P.S. I'd post a picture, but my bright red Nuke-Proof stem on a poop-brown T2 is about as ugly as it gets. I'll post one when my 130mm Black RaceFace stem comes in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckChurch
    Hey all,

After reading most of the Giant threads on this site, and test riding the T2 at my LBS for a couple hours the last couple days, I finally said yes, and brought one home today! After moving my bar ends over from my old bike (Fisher Sugar 3+ with variety of older parts), I was ready to hit the trail. It was cold out, maybe 46 degrees, but sunny. Usually time myself on this part of the ride. Couple miles singletrack, raises maybe 300 feet. Then a 3/4 mile section on road, raising another 300 feet. Finally, back on singletrack, another 1.5 miles raising about 400 feet, with plenty of ruts, tree roots, and rocks.
    Just to clear the variables, my Fisher weighs about 31 lbs, and is probably in need of a fork rebuild, it's Pyslo XC has been leaking oil a bit lately, and is a little spongy. With the T2, I also picked up a pair of new Nike shoes, which were much stiffer than my old Lake shoes. I usually don't perform as well in cold temps, so that was hurting me a bit today. But...
    I covered the all-uphill section of my ride described above in 38 minutes flat. Previous best was 42 minutes last summer, and more recently, about 44 minutes last week! Damn! This bike just climbs like crazy. In the really rutted climbing I was about 1 gear higher on all sections than before. Downhill it felt very nice and manuverable, maybe a little skittish though, due to it's smaller Hutchinson 2.1 tires (which measure about 1.9 actually), as compared to my Specialized 2.1 2Bliss tires on the Fisher. I've got a little adjusting to do, to get the seat a little lower and back farther. I nearly took a trip over the bars due to the more forward position than I'm used to. I had to use my old 135mm stem on the T2 to simulate my position on the Fisher. Looks like I'll end up getting a 130mm in place of the stock T2 110mm stem. These are just minor fine tuning things though...
    Long story short, I'm very impressed with this bike. By the end of the ride, I had trimmed about 10 minutes off my normal hour and 15 minutes for this loop. The comparison to the Fisher probably isn't totally fair, as many of the parts it are probably 6+ years old, like the Cook Bros crankset. But still, saving 10 minutes is pretty significant. Take it for what it's worth, but the Trance is a kick-ass bike.

Chuck

P.S. I'd post a picture, but my bright red Nuke-Proof stem on a poop-brown T2 is about as ugly as it gets. I'll post one when my 130mm Black RaceFace stem comes in.
    Damn, man. Thats a nice bike. I bet you had fun, it sounds like fun...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    wow, 10min off the usual 1hr15? awesome!

where's a photo of your big grin?

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

This space for rent!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    wow, 10min off the usual 1hr15? awesome!

where's a photo of your big grin?

Oh, it'll be coming sooner or later. Went out again today, different place to ride; more mud, longer hills, way more death-potential on these trails. Moved the seat back on the rails 10 or 15 mm. Made a big difference. Bike felt very comfortable and controllable in all situations. Really need to give my legs a rest, but this is just too much fun! Plus 'Chasing Lance' was on the tube tonight. Hometown boy Georgie Hincapie winning stage 15 was the end of the segment for this week. It's pretty motivating...

Chuck
    Last edited by ChuckChurch; 01-28-2006 at 10:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Congrats on the new bike - I really like the value that the T2 offers. I appreciate your comparison to the geometry of your Fisher. I'm currently on a Big Sur that is probably a little too large for me but is super stable. In looking around for a FS bike I'm always wondering how the geometry will feel in comparison. Sounds like you're making some adjustments.

This space for rent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog
    Congrats on the new bike - I really like the value that the T2 offers. I appreciate your comparison to the geometry of your Fisher. I'm currently on a Big Sur that is probably a little too large for me but is super stable. In looking around for a FS bike I'm always wondering how the geometry will feel in comparison. Sounds like you're making some adjustments.
    To be honest, my comparison to the Fisher probably isn't that accurate. My Fisher started life in '97 as a Super Caliber hard tail. Broke that frame, got a Paragon with the Genesis geometry as a free frame exchange. Moved all the parts over. Replaced the Manitou fork with a Judy SL, and then again in 2001 w/ a Psylo XC. Upgraded to Hayes 6" hydraulic brakes later that year. Broke frame again (cracks around BB shell), got a Sugar 3+ for an exchange + cash. It had the stock Fox Float R on it. Moved all parts over again. So the selection of parts on my Fisher isn't even close to what it would come with from the factory. I'm not sure of the travel on a stock Sugar 3+ on the front, maybe my 5" Psylo is throwing off the head angle a bit. But they are all decent parts on there, just not sure if they all work that well together. But head angle or not, the T2 has quicker handling, and the climbing efficiency is great.
    The T2 isn't taking that much adjustment. Moved the seat back, 20mm longer stem will suffice, some bar ends, and maybe cutting the bars off .5 to .75 inches on each side. Other than that, it's perfect.

Chuck

MTB B'dos
    CC congrats on your new ride, the T2 is for sure a great bang for buck buy. I can share how enthusiatic you are about the Trance I felt and still do feel like that about mine. What size frame did you get and what are your measurements? Sounds kinda like you got a smaller frame and are extending the cockpit to fit.
    A few things I might point out though.........

Your trimming 10 mins of your fastest time although partly due to the T2 is also alot to do with the fact that you now have stiffer soled shoes and as such are getting more/better power transfer than you were before.

Running a 5" fork on a 3" designed bike (the sugar) is not good and you're lucky you haven't F**d up the frame because of it yet.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics