This space for rent!

2006 Trance 2 bearing outer race stuck

Hey all,

Tried to do the right thing this time and be pro-active in regards to my Trance 2 suspension bearings. But as luck would have it, both upper rear triangle bearings came apart while removing them. So I'm stuck with an outer race in both sides. I've heard of people using a dremel tool to grind them out. Any recommendations on how to do it, or what size/model grinding wheel to use? Any other way? I'm thinking the Enduro bearings are the way to go, are they really better?

P.S. The bearings in question have the name JNK 63800RS name on them.

Thanks,

Chuck

MTB B'dos
    Just check out my SIG, there's loads of info from various folks who have done this and have had similar experiences
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

This space for rent!
    Thanks Lynx. Have read that, actually printed the first page out as a reference. The only things I found in there about the outer race being caught was a reference to a special blind hole bearing puller attachment, and others talking about a Dremel tool. Guess I'll hit Lowes tomorrow to see what kind of grinding wheel might fit in there.

MTB B'dos
    I'm not too familiar with the situation as I figured out how crappy mine were before they got too bad, came out intact. Besides the dremel thing, the only other thing I can think off is to drill 2 holes part way into the race on either side and use a puller and pull them out - but as with the dremel, you'd need to be very careful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckChurch
    Thanks Lynx. Have read that, actually printed the first page out as a reference. The only things I found in there about the outer race being caught was a reference to a special blind hole bearing puller attachment, and others talking about a Dremel tool. Guess I'll hit Lowes tomorrow to see what kind of grinding wheel might fit in there.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

This space for rent!

Got them out!

Hey all. Managed to get both races out, bought a $3.50 grinding wheel at Lowes made by Hitachi, and ground the race down with grinder parallel to the race so it ground it all at the same time. The aluminium underneath isn't as shiny, so you'll know when you're starting to get through. Once you're almost through, try prying them with a flat blade screwdriver from the back, mine snapped out pretty easily. Here's the pics:

Tool package

The tool, just used a normal 3/8 power drill, variable speed. Wear glasses, check it often to make sure you're not through the steel.

Almost through

Almost through, different angle

Done!

MTB B'dos
    Glad you got it sorted and glad you didn't nick the inner surface Now make sure you check each and every bearing before you install them for good amounts og grease, better yet totaly degrease them and repack with high grade marine grease - unless they're Enduro bearings in that case just do a double check on grease quantity.
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Glad yopu got it out. That is the method I used to remove my outer race. Wasn't it fun putting a dremel to your frame? I think I looked at every option possible before doing that.

This space for rent!
    Thanks for the help guys. Got a set of Enduro Max bearings on the way. Wish they were here now.... Anyway, the other bearings came out fine, didn't realize you could pry the seal off with a steak knife. I believe that is the tool that Park recommends. LOL. Got them all repacked with good grease after cleaning/soaking them. Just the two smallest ones were shot. Guess I'll keep an extra pair of those around.