mtbr member

2005 Reign vs. 2009 - What's different?

What's up Giant forum. I ride a Heckler and have had my eye on a Reign for a while. Can someone please give me a quick rundown of frame changes between 2005 and now? Are the older frames as good? Has there been a major breakthrough in design recently?

Thanks dudes (and ladies too).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax
    What's up Giant forum. I ride a Heckler and have had my eye on a Reign for a while. Can someone please give me a quick rundown of frame changes between 2005 and now? Are the older frames as good? Has there been a major breakthrough in design recently?

2009 Head angle is now 68 deg vs. 69.5 for a 05' 69 in 07 and 08.
    2009 Frame is lighter than 2005 (not sure how much but I think a pound)
    2009 does not have a pierced downtube like the 2005 has.

The 05 is a good frame. Parts are parts are parts so I can't comment but the Reign is a great bike.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    My 08 large reign frameset is 1& 3/4 lbs. exactly, lighter than my 05. Cable routing on the new frame is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Had to buy a longer than standard brake line to fit it as well.

mtbr member
    Dont see how the cable routing is bad? I have an 09 Reign, and have upgradedd the cables to Flying Snake sealed ones, and have just fitted new Hope Tech M4 front and Tech X2 rear brakes... Not had to buy anything special for it.... Mines a medium, but even so, there is enough hose on the Hope brake to fit a large easily.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm just a little disapointed, my 05 cables ran straight from the shifters dowm to the rear deraileur & brake caliper, neat, without a bunch of bends & turns. My brakes are jucy's so maybe they run short.
    Question for ya, is there enough movement in the rear shifter & brake housing wear into the fox shock body? Do I need protective clear tape?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax

I have on 05 Reign and It is still rolling. Enduro bearings are a must have for the pivots, but that seems universal for any of giants fs bikes. I personally like the looks of my 05 better than the new reign. Any reign model is a good one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    I'm just a little disapointed, my 05 cables ran straight from the shifters dowm to the rear deraileur & brake caliper, neat, without a bunch of bends & turns. My brakes are jucy's so maybe they run short.
    Question for ya, is there enough movement in the rear shifter & brake housing wear into the fox shock body? Do I need protective clear tape?

I did put some protection on the shock body- but have now changed to coil... I actually think the bends are better... gives the cable more flex when the suspension moves- a straight run means (to me) that the cable is put under a bit more force as it has to move out of the way more. The cable run to me looks nice and neat as well....

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Ratty, what shock did your reign origionally specked with? Why did you change that shock out?

mtbr member
    Came with a DHX air 4 shock, just blowing through the travel too easily. Not a good shock anyway by all accounts... So after a chat with TF Tuned a Van R was fitted instead- much better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    On a related note - I have an '05 Reign with 160mm Wotans on it and it's great but I've a hankering for an '08 Large frame - a tad longer and a load lighter. Will the angles be too slack with the Wotans if the '08 head angle is 68 degrees with 140mm forks?

If anyone's interested, I got an old style Van R (no piggy back) to fit in my '05 reign and it really does change the whole character of the bike - non of the mid-stroke mushyness that it had before.

MTB B'dos

Wink

To the OP, the '05s were great bikes, only downfall as said was the crappy bearings which were easily replaced. As with Gilbo I too prefer the original design to what's out now.

How tall are you? I'd guess you're pretty short and ride either a Medium or Small, cause if not, you'd really appreciate the new routing. I and several others actually started routing the cables like they have them now on our '05 Maestro bikes because the original routing on a L or XL frame caused serious cable crimping and bowing - I guess Giant saw this trend and redesigned. I have since switch to a 29er bike and that bike (Niner RIP9) also had the same routing as the original Maestro stuff and within 1 year had also swapped to the DT routing for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh yeah - the sizing is different on the different years - a medium '05 has a virtual top tube of 23.3" whereas the '08/'09 is 23".

In practice, though, having sat on an '08 medium, it felt REALLY short compared with my '05 so I'd go from a medium to a large if I could find one second hand.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    To those with Van R's, does it bottom out easily? In a seach on here I have read the linear nature of coils will cause it to bottom out when couple with the linear Maestro. I'm trying to decide between the Van R and a RP23. Use my Reign for Galby (xc/ light FR) and Whistler. I have a 2005 Reign.

ROCK HARD, RIDE FREE...
    i have 2005 reign and fox floar r... it bottoms when jumping small drops, id buy dhx air but im not sure if there's enough space

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    There isn't room for a piggyback shock of any type. Lots of folks are happy with RP shocks, I'd be leaning to a float with the largest air canister possible for a plush rear.
    However, I'm not a heavyweight by any means...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

2005 Reign more towards the XC side of the "spectrum"

2009 more of a freeride machine. This opinion based mostly on both bikes' geometries. 2005 Reign, is probably more like a TranceX, but stiffer, plusher in the rear, and with a heavier frame. I have one set up mostly for XC and really like it. With its Fox Vanilla Coil Rear Shock, for me it works in a manner that is very close to a perfect suspension; little bob for so much coiled suspension, very sensitive to small bumps, sensitive when climbing gnarly terrain, especially when in the granny ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro
    2009 more of a freeride machine. This opinion based mostly on both bikes' geometries. 2005 Reign, is probably more like a TranceX, but stiffer, plusher in the rear, and with a heavier frame.
    I'd say the exact opposite. The 2005 pretty much had to do both the jobs the Reign and the Reign X do now, within reason. Hence the slightly excess weight of the 05's frame. My guess is the 2005 is tougher to break than the 09... three years of nastiness on mine and only the bearings (and paint) have suffered.

The geo thing is a red herring, as everything's got slacker in the last couple of years (including my 65 HA 05 )