mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2005 Reign damage from bearings

sad day today, got a call from a local shop where my bike is getting tuned and such. my rear bearings are trashed and my frame is damaged from them. Shop is not sure yet if replacing the bearings will work or not.
    heres the kicker:
    last spring I took bike in to local Giant retailer to do bottom bracket and also check out my suspension and bearings. they told me I needed new bearings and they and I said lets do it. they had my bike for 2 months with me calling every week and them saying not ready yet. finally after 2 months I had to leave town and take my bike, so I went in to get it and explained how long it had been there. They said oh its all done according to the computer and gave it to me.

I had a feeling it was not done, but I paid for everything and left.
    fast forward to now. bike currently at new shop, I asked them to check the bearings and find why bike is so creaky. bearings are toast they confirm and frame has been damaged.

So I even more so believe I paid local Giant store for parts/labor that were never completed. what should I do?

I understand that Giant under-speced bearings in the 2005 Mistro suspension, will the warranty cover this or is it rather considered owner negligence?

f*ing blows, I waited all last spring prime riding because bike was in shop, now again this spring bike is in shop and possibly done for.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The upper pivot bearings are usually the ones that go. I have had three different 2005 Reigns in the family and replaced the upper pivot bearings in all of them with Enduro bearings. If the place where the bearings press into is a little gouged, but not too bad, I would probably press in some Enduro bearings and go for it.

The worst part may be getting the old chunks of bearing out if it has partially disintegrated. That can be a little tricky, but I have got pretty good at using a Dremel tool to grind out the bearing race without damaging the swingarm. The Enduro bearings are very much worth the investment and IMHO the only way to go on the 2005 Reign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i'll check out the endure bearings, my lbs is planing to source a bearing and hardware kit from Giant for $120, I dont know that i want bearings from Giant. I think we are gonna try to jb weld in the gaps, they are not horrible but mechanic is not very optimistic that it will work.