Thread: 2005 NRS Specs?

mtbr member

2005 NRS Specs?

I have seen all of the great information on the Trance, Reign, and Faith that has been posted. Does anyone have any information for 05' North American spec NRS rides? Thanks.

Happy Riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Product catalog

I dont know any info on dates, but my bro got a catalog from our LBS with all of Giants new stuff in it...i will have to look to get the specifics because I cant remember offhand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsewe0
    I dont know any info on dates, but my bro got a catalog from our LBS with all of Giants new stuff in it...i will have to look to get the specifics because I cant remember offhand.

Thanks. I am interested in the components as well as whether it is a composite frame or not. Saw some pics on this forum of an NRS I C1 and NRS 1 C2 from Expocycle, a show in Toronto. There seems to be some belief that these are the NRS 1 and 2. I am in Canada, but the specs are usually very similar between the US and Canada. Especially on the frame. I will await your response.

Neil

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well, off the top of my head, i remember there being two nrs c 's. (NRS composites).

One black/red, and one black/blue. Then there is one regular NRS. I think the components are very similar to that of the NRS 2 from 2004, but once again, I will check later on for you...

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    there are two composite frames in '05 - the NRSair and the NRS1. i have seen a pic of the NRS-1 composite frame with red, which seems remniscent of the NRS2 design. but upon closer inspection, the rear triangle looks different, unless the aus frame varies from the US, which very well may be true.

go to giants website and check out the australian website for the NRS specs. im as eager to learn about the NRS as anyone else, mainly the NRS2, which I have bought already from supergo and will pick up when there next order comes in (i bought it but then some sleezebag bought it from under me... i didnt know that was possible!). but they have the NRS models in some stores already... but im not driving to Tucson for a Supergo store which I am not only fond of, but is too far away.

mtbr member

2005 NRS Specs?

Quote Originally Posted by giantguy
    there are two composite frames in '05 - the NRSair and the NRS1. i have seen a pic of the NRS-1 composite frame with red, which seems remniscent of the NRS2 design. but upon closer inspection, the rear triangle looks different, unless the aus frame varies from the US, which very well may be true.

go to giants website and check out the australian website for the NRS specs. im as eager to learn about the NRS as anyone else, mainly the NRS2, which I have bought already from supergo and will pick up when there next order comes in (i bought it but then some sleezebag bought it from under me... i didnt know that was possible!). but they have the NRS models in some stores already... but im not driving to Tucson for a Supergo store which I am not only fond of, but is too far away.
    Giantguy, thanks for the information. Actually, I am surprised to hear that the NRS Air is around anymore. I have seen a lot of info on posts regarding NRS models, but no NRS Air information. It seems that Giant may be making the NRS 1 Spec similar to last year's NRS Air. Full Shimano XT, Crossmax Tubeless, and all of the other goodies below. Also, I have received information from a LBS that the spec (Cdn.) for the NRS 2 is as follows:

NRS 2 is composite main frame and rear triangle is alloy
    Fox FRL 80 mm front fork
    Fox Float R rear shock
    LX shifters, front & rear derailer
    Hayes hydraulic "sole" brake 6" rotors
    Easton EA50 stem bar and post
    Race face ride XC crank

Judging by the price I am paying for the bike, which is at cost or just above, I wouldn't be surprised. Just a note, but Australian specs have typically been a year behind ours. Not sure why, but this has been the case in the past. Which is why I think the NRS 2 is composite. My LBS also mentioned that only the base NRS was Aluxx, and the spec is of NRS3 nature.

Anyhow, if I hear anything else I will share it. My bike is scheduled to arrive here some time in the first couple of weeks in December. If Giant would get with it and update their website, none of us would be guessing all the time.

Happy Riding

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    thank you, and yes I also have heard that aus. was behind a year, but wasn't sure this year because it would be wierd to jump from one composite frame in '04 (NRS air) to all three composite frames (Air, 1, 2). They dropped the NRS-3 obviously...

A Fox fork was exactly what I was hoping for the US models, and a carbon frame... even sweeter. What about price? Is it still 1300 MSRP? I really hope so, because I can't afford much else. Those specs seem the same as the aus. specs minus the fork and probably a few other things. Is the aus. paintscheme/colors going to be on the composite NRS-2 frame if thats what it is as far as frame componets, because I really love those colors, and I love how Giant does its carbon frames more than other companies for some reason, just looks more beatiful and natural... plus they have that fancy diamondshield system which seems to have been proven to be effective since they introduced composite frames.

Canadian specs don't differ too much from US specs, but I am very curious as to what will come of the NRS-2 down here. I really hope its a composite or aluminum frame, although i prefer composite because it looks better (id hate to judge by looks, but come on!).

Im not quite sure about the NRS Air specs, but there may be one, and if there is then it has the same design as this year's AIR but with grey, and better componets...

If you have any other information, post it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Giantguy, thanks for the information. Actually, I am surprised to hear that the NRS Air is around anymore. I have seen a lot of info on posts regarding NRS models, but no NRS Air information. It seems that Giant may be making the NRS 1 Spec similar to last year's NRS Air. Full Shimano XT, Crossmax Tubeless, and all of the other goodies below. Also, I have received information from a LBS that the spec (Cdn.) for the NRS 2 is as follows:

NRS 2 is composite main frame and rear triangle is alloy
    Fox FRL 80 mm front fork
    Fox Float R rear shock
    LX shifters, front & rear derailer
    Hayes hydraulic "sole" brake 6" rotors
    Easton EA50 stem bar and post
    Race face ride XC crank

Judging by the price I am paying for the bike, which is at cost or just above, I wouldn't be surprised. Just a note, but Australian specs have typically been a year behind ours. Not sure why, but this has been the case in the past. Which is why I think the NRS 2 is composite. My LBS also mentioned that only the base NRS was Aluxx, and the spec is of NRS3 nature.

Anyhow, if I hear anything else I will share it. My bike is scheduled to arrive here some time in the first couple of weeks in December. If Giant would get with it and update their website, none of us would be guessing all the time.

Happy Riding
    You're right. I don't think the NRS air will be avalaible in north america. the top model will be the NRS 1. Giant let go the xt dual shifter to go back to rapid fire. They spec Hayes 9 carbon disc brakes with crossmax sl wheelset, fox frl 80, race face evolve x-type crankset and evolve seatpost, stem and handelbar, wtb spec v stealth titanium seat

enjoy

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    sounds like an interesting move, although theyve done without the AIR in the past...

Any word on pricing? Ive heard up to 2000$, but not sure if its US or CAN currency.

mtbr member

Wink

sounds like an interesting move, although theyve done without the AIR in the past...

Any word on pricing? Ive heard up to 2000$, but not sure if its US or CAN currency.
    I think you are low on the pricing. As per my previous post, I am paying a seriously good number on my bike and retail would be close to $3000 CDN. This would put it around $2300/2400 USF based on our strong dollar right now. I do think the AIR is out too, but we'll see. It would appear they have upgraded the NRS 1 & 2 and eliminated the AIR. I don't think it was a big seller up here. T

The NRS 1 in AUS has a REBA fully adjustable fork which would be very horny. I am sure the FOX is a good fork too though. I wouldn't be surprised if the only difference between the NRS 1 and 2 in N/A is the XT derailleurs and Crossmax wheels. Price difference is around $1000 Cdn between the two, so this would put it close if the 2 is Deore and X223 rims.

Neil

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Price for the NRS1 will be around 4500 $ CAN...

Sound this is a good deal

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    so NRS1 will run up about 3000$US, which means the NRS2 will probably hit about 2800$... ok im going with the 2004 NRS2 or NRS1 on closeout sales from supergo... tsk tsk giant...

I thought giant was lowering the prices for all current production models over 1000$ down 45-140$ for '05. O well.

mtbr member

2005 NRS 2 Specs

so NRS1 will run up about 3000$US, which means the NRS2 will probably hit about 2800$... ok im going with the 2004 NRS2 or NRS1 on closeout sales from supergo... tsk tsk giant...

I thought giant was lowering the prices for all current production models over 1000$ down 45-140$ for '05. O well.
    Hey Giant Guy, I can't get too specific, but I can tell you that my I am paying pretty much cost on the bike, and retail will be around $3000 Cdn, $2300-2400 US. These numbers are accurate, I assure you.

I priced out an NRS 1 also and Alternative's number based on the price I was given is very accurate. The NRS 2 is not going to be $2800 US. That is rich. The best thing to do is wait another 2-4 weeks when you LBS can give you a price. The bike will be here in December.

I believe the below is the NRS2 for 05 (I hope the Download works:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Hey Giant Guy, I can't get too specific, but I can tell you that my I am paying pretty much cost on the bike, and retail will be around $3000 Cdn, $2300-2400 US. These numbers are accurate, I assure you.

I priced out an NRS 1 also and Alternative's number based on the price I was given is very accurate. The NRS 2 is not going to be $2800 US. That is rich. The best thing to do is wait another 2-4 weeks when you LBS can give you a price. The bike will be here in December.

I believe the below is the NRS2 for 05 (I hope the Download works:
    Giant lists the NRS 1 at $3500 MSRP
    Giant lists the NRS 2 at $2500 MSRP

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    Referring to the person above me, you should be specific as to whether that is US or CAN, im guessing CAN.

I saw that same picture with the NRS"U"2, now they are called NRSU1 and U2s i guess, for a new sales pitch in a way.

Most composite frames are really expensive though... I already bought my 2004 NRS2 from supergo for a closeout bargain deal of 900$$$!!! 31% sale AND I bargained a few bucks too, im so glad I got it, and im going to pick it up soon!!!

Off topic- I need help getting the cables for brakes off a really old bike, they are all in welded metal things... im rebuilding an old trashed magna into a hardtail machine, but first I am taking everything off, using CLR to clean the rusty componets, then spray painting it with that AC-like metallic slate blueish color...

mtbr member

2005 NRS 2 Specs

Referring to the person above me, you should be specific as to whether that is US or CAN, im guessing CAN.

I saw that same picture with the NRS"U"2, now they are called NRSU1 and U2s i guess, for a new sales pitch in a way.

Most composite frames are really expensive though... I already bought my 2004 NRS2 from supergo for a closeout bargain deal of 900$$$!!! 31% sale AND I bargained a few bucks too, im so glad I got it, and im going to pick it up soon!!!

Off topic- I need help getting the cables for brakes off a really old bike, they are all in welded metal things... im rebuilding an old trashed magna into a hardtail machine, but first I am taking everything off, using CLR to clean the rusty componets, then spray painting it with that AC-like metallic slate blueish color...

Above pricing is definitely USF. Too bad you couldn't wait. The composite (NRS C1 & C2) is going to be sweet. And the NRS 2 is more like the NRS 1 of last year. Although I am sure you will enjoy your 04' model. Not to mention, you got a great deal...

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    I agree, I never even imagined getting a NRS2 for about the price of a Warp DS-1...

I would love to get the NRS2 for 05, but the price is a little... well you understand. Im not made of money.

On topic agian... I don't understand why the NRS2 is 2500, and the NRS1 is 3500. There both nice bikes and all... but there isnt much of a componet difference from what I can tell. It just seems ridiculous, even for the composite frames.

mtbr member
    I agree, I never even imagined getting a NRS2 for about the price of a Warp DS-1...

I would love to get the NRS2 for 05, but the price is a little... well you understand. Im not made of money.

On topic agian... I don't understand why the NRS2 is 2500, and the NRS1 is 3500. There both nice bikes and all... but there isnt much of a componet difference from what I can tell. It just seems ridiculous, even for the composite frames.

Well, I think the differences may be XT vs Deore and Crossmax Tubeless vs X223 rims. Those are a couple anyway from what I gather. I don't know that that would account for $1000 Cdn. See our prices up here are around $3300 and $4300, so it is also around $1000, or $800 US. I guess well see. I hope to have my NRS 2 in 4-5 weeks, roughly around the same as the LBS. Again, if Giant would get it together and update the web, all of the speculation would end....

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    True, I wonder what is holding them up? Maybe theyre being reluctant to release the new frame designs (Maestro) or something. I hope they update soon, because my dad may get a 2005 Iguana, depending on price. Any word on the Iguana's price? This year's Iguana price?

mtbr member
    True, I wonder what is holding them up? Maybe theyre being reluctant to release the new frame designs (Maestro) or something. I hope they update soon, because my dad may get a 2005 Iguana, depending on price. Any word on the Iguana's price? This year's Iguana price?
    Not sure about the Iguana, but I am going to be putting my XtC2 up for sale if you're interested. I would like to get $8-900 Cdn. I have upgraded the brakes to Avid Mech Disks, just had the fork lowers replaced by Manitou, and put a new rear tire on all in the past three months. I mush say for a hard tail, it is a sweet ride, I am just due for an upgrade. I can post some pics if you're interested...

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004

Don't need anything that nice

No thanks, the bike isn't for me, its for my father. He's needed a bike for quite some time now, and, so I figured now was as good as ever. I just got my NRS2 and still have my Boulder... we all have a Giant bike family. But he doesn't need anything that nice... but it couldn't hurt to look at it, since the price is right. I don't know if my dad would ever need it, but a hardtail around sure couldn't hurt... especially a nice one such as that.

You can post the pics if you dont mind. Dont mean to sound rude here though. I can't wait for my first ride on my NRS2 tomorow. And saturday. And sunday.

mtbr member
    No thanks, the bike isn't for me, its for my father. He's needed a bike for quite some time now, and, so I figured now was as good as ever. I just got my NRS2 and still have my Boulder... we all have a Giant bike family. But he doesn't need anything that nice... but it couldn't hurt to look at it, since the price is right. I don't know if my dad would ever need it, but a hardtail around sure couldn't hurt... especially a nice one such as that.

You can post the pics if you dont mind. Dont mean to sound rude here though. I can't wait for my first ride on my NRS2 tomorow. And saturday. And sunday.

Here are a few pics of the bike. Yeah, I agree maybe your dad doesn't need something that nice, but if you can get it, why not. I have thoroughly enjoyed this bike. I just have an opportunity to pick up a new NRS for a sweet price, not to mention it's time to go full suspension. Let me know if you might be interested. I haven't posted it on Ebay yet, but will be soon. Hope you enjoy the picks. How's the NRS? Did you ride it the past couple of days?

Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images

'04 Giant NRS-3
    Oct 2004
    Sweet ride, id take it depending on price though. seems like its in good condition. a little dirty, but I would love to clean it

It was raining thursday so the trails yesterday were supposedly pretty wet, so I took out my boulder instead of the NRS2 (I felt really bad leaving it there whilst I was MTBing). My chainring got knocked off and snapped, but I could fix it easily if I could buy those small screws required. Anyone know where I could buy them? The small chainring screws on lower-end models..?

Anyways, so I took the boulder pretty far up the Telegraph Pass Trail (it actually wasnt wet, so I felt really stupid), just started up South Mountain when I realized that I should get going. I was going back down the graveley/rocky trail in my third crank... my chain popped off and swung around my pedals, and I was going too fast at too much of an angle to stop well, so I rode it out like that for part of the way until I could stop it, the whole time I was just vibrating, literally. I was just thinking about how much better it would have been on the NRS2. Tomorow I might go, but granted that Its halloween and might want to stay home, but I will see.

I really like that bike... XTCs are really nice. Nice paintjob too. I gave up on the hardtail I planned on making, basically I found an old Magna bike on bulk pick-up day and took it in. I tried the best I could, but I cant get the cables off certain parts. I was about to paint it, too. But every bike Ive ever owned has been a Giant anyway... but I think I could pay around 800$ for it, depending on how much my parents are going to dish out of me for the NRS2.

Off-Topic. Does anyone know if in the Giant warranty, if I break the '04 NRS2 frame, do I get the '05 frame if I break it next year? I haven't broken it, but my dad thinks I will, even though ive been stressing my rigid boulder for months without much damage. I think I would get the '05, but then I know that its the carbon frame, any word on that?