mtbr member
    May 2004

2004 XT m760 vs 2003 XT m752 on a NRS

I was wondering has anyone tried both and can tell me which one they like better on the nrs. I currently have the m752 and upgrading to the m760 soon but I was wondering if its worth it (if cost is not an issue) . Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002NRS
    I was wondering has anyone tried both and can tell me which one they like better on the nrs. I currently have the m752 and upgrading to the m760 soon but I was wondering if its worth it (if cost is not an issue) . Thanks
    Yes, go with the 04 XT. You will notice a major difference in the direct power it gives with the outside bearings. Plus the weight savings you get having not to use a cartridge BB.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If you have a couple hundred in spare cash....go right ahead.

...or if your current rings are worn out. Otherwise, I'd wait for that to happen. It will eventually, and by then I expect the price will go down on the new integrated cranksets. Probably be able to get an integrated LX crankset by then.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    thanks for the replies . My friend and I just put a 2004 xt crank on his Specialized FSR 00' and you're right... you can actually feel the difference. The 2004 has less flex when you're pedaling harder. Performance bike is having a sale on the crank for 199.97 (until the May 23rd) and there is a 20% off coupon (6000735) plus I also have 30 dollars worth of performance dollars, so the crank is only costing me roughly $140 (tax included).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How did you find the $199.97 price??????

thanks for the replies . My friend and I just put a 2004 xt crank on his Specialized FSR 00' and you're right... you can actually feel the difference. The 2004 has less flex when you're pedaling harder. Performance bike is having a sale on the crank for 199.97 (until the May 23rd) and there is a 20% off coupon (6000735) plus I also have 30 dollars worth of performance dollars, so the crank is only costing me roughly $140 (tax included).
    When I go to Performance's website it is advertised at $271.99. I'm building up a VT right now and would pick it up if I could get it for that price.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=17731

Right now the best prices I can find are Pricepoint for $250 or Performance after the 20% of $218 and mtbstore for $235.

Danny

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Danny,

I went to the Campbell store in California and the in store sale price was 199.97. I asked the clerk when does the sale end, he said May 23. My friend had the same problem at the Fremont store (it listed as 271) , he asked them to call the Campbell store to verify the price. He was able to get it for 199.97. Since the instore didnt take online coupons we had to use the red phone (in the store) to get the 20% off (here is a new 20% code 6000381). I think if you order online then call them and say that the Campbell store has it for 199.97 they'll price match it. Hope that works out for you. Its an awesome deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Worked like a charm....Thanks.

Hey Danny,

I went to the Campbell store in California and the in store sale price was 199.97. I asked the clerk when does the sale end, he said May 23. My friend had the same problem at the Fremont store (it listed as 271) , he asked them to call the Campbell store to verify the price. He was able to get it for 199.97. Since the instore didnt take online coupons we had to use the red phone (in the store) to get the 20% off (here is a new 20% code 6000381). I think if you order online then call them and say that the Campbell store has it for 199.97 they'll price match it. Hope that works out for you. Its an awesome deal.
    I joined their buyer's club for an additional 10% off, toward my next purchase too. So $160 bucks plus $16 toward my order...not bad. I'll be interested to see how this compares to the LX set I've got on there now.

mtbr remember
    I just replaced my worn M752 crankset (chainsuck!) with the M760 on my NRS, and I love it. So much smoother than my old hooked over chainrings, and very stiff. I managed to pick it up on ebay off of a new bike from a bike shop that the buyer requested an XTR upgrade. I got it for $182.50 w/ the installation tools (and I got a new M760 cassette off the same seller for $55). That performance sale sounds like a deal you cannot pass up. I would have gone that route if I didn't find this one on ebay. I will never go back to the separate cartridge bb, although I hear some people having problems losing the plastic retaining bolt when it comes loose and falls out, so check it often.