mtbr member
    Jun 2004

2004 Warp Ds1 shock uprade

What aftermarket shocks would fit this bike? I ride mostly dirtjumping, some downhill, and some forest trails.

"El Whatever"

I made this very same question...

And got no answer.
    Some said any will fot but they were talking about the pre'03 models which used a smaller shock.

I've been thinking about buying a old Fox Vanilla RC and get it Push'ed. That would be the only decent upgrade.

There you have the Romic, Foxes, Manitous and else but they are in the 350+ ball park. That's one third of the bike's cost. It hardly makes sense to me.

I even thought about getting hydro brakes and a SPV fork... but after doing the math I realized that I should only swap components on this bike if mine would break.

The bike is like 800 or so... a new fork should be in the 250+, a new shock in the 350+, a set of cranks in the 150's and so on....

So my best advice is ride 'till the stuff breaks and get some new-just-one-notch-up stuff.

What I'm thinking seriously is to get a Zoke MX Comp 120mm travel (around 260 bucks) to match the 5" rear suspension.

BUT.... the frame is so good and well built that it deserves some better components... but anyway I'll wait 'till the stuff on board should become unrideable.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Pushed

What does having a shock pushed mean?

"El Whatever"
    To get it sent to Push Industries to be upgraded.

check out www.pushindustries.com

These guys remove all of the internals on a Fox (and only Fox) shock and get it revalved according to your riding style, weight, frame, etc. They also install a SPV valve.

Reports here in these forums say the shock is incredible....
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Which vanilla rc would fit the warp?

"El Whatever"

Theoretically...

Any shock with 7.5" long eye to eye and 2" shaft stroke should fit.

I had tried to get (without results) the measures of the mountings of the Fox shocks in order to see if they fit the Warp.

This is Fox's reply to a question I made them about any shock for the Warp:
    "Sorry Fox does not spec a shock for the Giant Warp. Thank you fro your interest in Fox racing Shox."

If you have a friend who has a Fox with these measures or a LBS who's displaying one of those... get a caliper and measure the eyelets dimensions and compare them to your Warp.

It would help to have an answer from a Giant Dealer too.... but I can't find any decent in Mexico.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, I did a search and theres a couple of float shocks that fit. I'll keep looking. Is the stock shock revalvable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    2002 Rockshox pro deluxe shocks also fit. And there is also a 2003 romic that fits. And a 4 way coil manitou fits. Are you sure that the size is 7.5x2? I measured and it was definately 7.5 but I wasnt sure about the 2" stroke.

Also, the Norco Atomic uses a 7.5x2 fox vanilla r.
    Last edited by Bigair101; 07-07-2004 at 08:10 AM.

"El Whatever"
    I dunno. It should be. There is nothing special about this shock. The problem is to find a good shop to do it. Maybe Romic or Avalanche.... there might be others. Push only re-works Foxes.

Why do you want to change your shock?? It just works. Is not a high end shock but is very nice and sturdy. It goes from springy active to packing slow just turning the rebound knob.

If you make some jumping you should increase the rebound damping so it could control the spring rebound. Increasing the preload should prevent it from bottoming but then you gotta increase the rebound some more. Ride it until death make you apart.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"

Yup...

Pretty Sure. Look at your spring. If I remember well (I'm away from home now) It should have the incription "600 lbs X 2.5" or something alike.

These are the spring characteristics. Is has a K constant of 600lb.in. Say it will compress one inch for each 600 pounds of force applied to it (and will rebound with the same force). Now the 2.5 means it can be compressed max. 2.5 inches. So the shaft travel gotta be smaller than that. If you compress like (by turning the preload adjustment nut) 1/4" to get preload and you add it to the 2" travel you find that at full compression the spring compress 2.25". Just enough to get full travel and do not damage the spring.

But the lenght-travel is not all about it. As I said, then you have the eyelet dimensions (width, diameter, etc). You might need special hardware to install it or the eyelets could be big enough for not to fit. Check that out first!!
    Last edited by Warp; 07-07-2004 at 08:14 AM. Reason: corection...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, I guess I'll just ride it until it breaks, but I want to have something good to go to when it does. Maybe I'll just have it revalved and resprung.

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

R U Sure??

I was almost positive my Warp has a 6.4 eye-2-eye with a 1.5 stroke on the stock shock. I have seen Vanilla 6.5's with the 1.5 stroke selling online in various places, usually Ebay. Am I confused? Was my Warp defiled by secret bike pixies when I wasn't looking? I must investigate further...

Either way, my stock Giant HV coil-over seems more than adequate. It's eating up the 4' drops I regularly feed it, and the rebound is pretty dern smooth. SPV would be nice tho...........

"El Whatever"

Pretty Sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Ullrite
    I was almost positive my Warp has a 6.4 eye-2-eye with a 1.5 stroke on the stock shock. I have seen Vanilla 6.5's with the 1.5 stroke selling online in various places, usually Ebay. Am I confused? Was my Warp defiled by secret bike pixies when I wasn't looking? I must investigate further...

Either way, my stock Giant HV coil-over seems more than adequate. It's eating up the 4' drops I regularly feed it, and the rebound is pretty dern smooth. SPV would be nice tho...........

For models '03 and '04. They used a longer shock... which made the suspension even better as the leverage is less now.

I'm bikeless now and my goal is to get either another DS1 or a DS frame and built it from scratch. You just can't beat the price/features ratio.
    Check my Site

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

Cool-blue Rhythm Aaahhh, So...

Now I understand. That would make perfect sense to me. Newer model = newer design. However I am now curious if the increased stroke would lend itself to more pedal bob... ? Granted, I am a bit limited in my comprehension of complex geometric theory... I guess if you had a stiffer spring it wouldn't make a difference, right? I dunno. Any comments much appreciated.

(not that on a Warp a difference in pedal bob would be noticeable or anything, lol)

Warp 2003: gonna put my hollowtech XT cranks on soon! just need a middle ring and a bashring. Interested to see how the stock cranks compare to the XT's on a scale when I take em off the bike too! lol should be good for a laugh... also, keep yer eyes peeled on EBAY for the '04 warps... I saw an 18.5 ds2 going for $400....

"El Whatever"

Pretty much...

Quote Originally Posted by Ullrite
    Now I understand. That would make perfect sense to me. Newer model = newer design. However I am now curious if the increased stroke would lend itself to more pedal bob... ? Granted, I am a bit limited in my comprehension of complex geometric theory... I guess if you had a stiffer spring it wouldn't make a difference, right? I dunno. Any comments much appreciated.

(not that on a Warp a difference in pedal bob would be noticeable or anything, lol)

Warp 2003: gonna put my hollowtech XT cranks on soon! just need a middle ring and a bashring. Interested to see how the stock cranks compare to the XT's on a scale when I take em off the bike too! lol should be good for a laugh... also, keep yer eyes peeled on EBAY for the '04 warps... I saw an 18.5 ds2 going for $400....
    Yup.. it bobs a lot !!!! I hadn't ridden a pre'03 frame but my frame did bobbed a lot. And yes the longer stroke make it bob a bit more. The design itself it's very much bob free when pedaling seated but once you raise your bottom off the saddle it sinks into its travel nicely.

Okay... it bobs a lot but it pedals nicely. But once on the downhill is a point and shoot chassis. The cushion is awesome. No doubt why MBA raves it as the best choice under a grand.

BTW... I saw that frame on e-bay. Looks sweet!!! I'll keep an eye early next year for the offers.
    Check my Site