mtbr member
    Dec 2003

2003 nrs2 bushing problem again.......

I have already replaced, under warranty, the rear shock sleeve and bushings on my NRS. Less than six months later they are beginning to shift again. I was told they fixed the problem but obviously they did not. My question is are there aftermarket bushings or bearings I can get to replace the crappy stock ones? Also I would rather not deal with my local giant dealer since they are total @ssholes. Thanks in advance.

Powered by Pulvoron
    contact sram and explain the problem. my 2003 nrs 2 encountered the upper bushing play. sram / rockshock promptly sent me new "heavy" duty replacement.

good luck
    dirt diggler

Powered by Pulvoron
    to add, no need to press out the stainless steel sleeve in the shock eyelet. the repair/replacement kit includes a heavy stainless steel rod, 2 o-rings and spacer sleeves.

the new kits seems to be working.. "knock on wood"

dirt diggler

WWYD?

I've had a similar bushing prob...

My top eyelet bushing was "clunking" much like other reports on this forum. I contacted Rockshox for help. They first said to get the new bushing kit, so I called Speedgoat and they delivered in about 10 working days the same kit dirt diggler has in his post.

In the meantime I called back Rockshox if it would be safe to keep riding it. They said "okay" but to replace it soon. The tech that helped me also said that the race mechanics used plumbers tape on the two-piece bushing to take up the slop. So I did and IT WORKED. I could only apply a thin layer of the tape because of the tolerences and it lasted for 20 hours before I put the new kit on. It probably could last longer but I wanted the new bushing on it.

The new kit looked pretty sturdy with the single piece but after 30 rides it is again starting to develop a "clunk" when I pick it up by the seat or toptube. Not as bad as before when you could actually see the old bushing sleeves move. I'm not sure what the problem could be. Maybe my top eyelet was damaged or worn from the old and now the tolerences give it the slop. I may try the plumbers tape on this new bushing. But it still rides excellent and I dont hear or feel any chatter from the eyelet when riding.

The rear pivot bushings are the next pain in the @ss. I've had to replace them from a crash that left the back with at least a 2mm of lateral movement. Again I got the parts from Speedgoat after the store (Performance) that I bought the bike from said I could have them by end of July (are they kidding me. Speedgoat got them in 10 days. Giants comments are that you can keep riding while the bushings are bad but replace them.

Try the tape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Good job!

I contacted ROck Shox and they said that it was a warranty issue and they would send me out a heavy duty kit. The thing that sucks is I have to go through my LBS. That alone is not a problem but I know working retail how much warranty stuff sucks. I will try the teflon tape untill then though.

Jason

Powered by Pulvoron
    jason,
    contact rockshox again and insist that they send you the kit w/o the bike shop middleman.

dirt diggler

mtbr remember
    Did you contact them by phone or email? I tried by email, but no response yet. Do I just ask them about the warranty on NRS SID upper shock bushings or what? I just emailed them and told them about the play and that I was concerned about causing more damage. Did you just give them your address and they shipped the bushings to you at no cost? I really don't want to go through my LBS either, as I have brought up the problem with them many times with the response from them being- "We have sold thousands of NRS and never had a problem or am aware of any upper shock bushing warranty, but we can order you a new set that will be in in a couple of weeks for $_"

mtbr member
    BikeSATORI - Your LBS should NOT charge you for the bushings...it's a well known issue and if they would just take the time to check it out, there would be no problem. I just had my "clunk" fixed on my NRS for no cost at my LBS (Performance). The mechanic was not aware of the issue at first but took the time to call and subsequently replaced the bushings at no cost.