mtbr member
    Feb 2006

2003 NRS 3 seatpost shim ?

Where can I find the seatpost shim that came with this frame ? The used frame I just purchased did not have this when it arrived yesterday ? Can my LBS dealer source one from Giant ? Thanks. Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm sure a Giant LBS would have a spare sitting around in the parts box out back if they can be bothered to look .

i'm not familiar with the setup, but does it mean you could alternatively use a 30.9mm seatpost instead of 27.2mm? or is this actually required for the 30.9mm?

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    i'm sure a Giant LBS would have a spare sitting around in the parts box out back if they can be bothered to look .

i'm not familiar with the setup, but does it mean you could alternatively use a 30.9mm seatpost instead of 27.2mm? or is this actually required for the 30.9mm?

Yes.

You can use the shim to run a 27.2 OR you can use a 30.9 seatpost, choice is yours.

Dave, as shiny_car suggested, you should be able to get one of these for REALLY cheap from your LBS/Giant dealer. If you think you might be upgrading your seatpost in the near future then i'd say buy it now and get it in a 30.9 size and be done with it all.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    shiny_car & AndrewTO, thanks for the replies & info. I'm planning to go by my LBS who is a Giant dealer monday after work. Hope he has one. Thanks again. Dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    be aware that many people, including myself, have experienced frame creak that was caused by the seatpost shim. once the shim was removed and the seatpost changed to a 30.9 the creak was gone.

so if you in the market for a seatpost for the frame do yourself a favor and skip the shim.

bang
    spank me if i'm wrong, but i believe the actual size for those bikes is 30.8 (thomson makes posts in this size). 30.9 might be a little tight (it should still work, but it's something to keep in mind). newer giants are 30.9 though if i'm not mistaken.

hardcore on the bunnyhill
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    i believe the actual size for those bikes is 30.8 (thomson makes posts in this size).
    You're right. I have a Thomson 30.8 in my NRS right now and it fits great! No more creaking from that dang shim!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Around here, a lot of frames with shims have been cracking. Without the shim, the problem is in existant. So i'd advise on going with the bigger seatpost.