mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2001 Rainier SE ... good price?

I just bought a 2001 Rainier SE with a L (21") frame for $425 (tax included) from my LBS. It was a brand new leftover that just got hidden in the back for no one to see...or so they claim. Is that a good deal? I'm hoping it's a bike that will last me 5-10 years of moderate riding with very few jumps of more than 2 feet or so...is it?

Bike Geek

new bike

Thats a good bike and frame. It should be fine for what you say in your post. I think you got a good deal, as I believe these were selling for about $700 new?
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The original sticker on it showed $795, but who knows if that was real.

This is my first bike with the air shocks in the front. How can you adjust it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by winter_rules
    I just bought a 2001 Rainier SE with a L (21") frame for $425 (tax included) from my LBS. It was a brand new leftover that just got hidden in the back for no one to see...or so they claim. Is that a good deal? I'm hoping it's a bike that will last me 5-10 years of moderate riding with very few jumps of more than 2 feet or so...is it?
    you weren't hosed, if that's what you're asking. i have an '03 rainier that i run as my main xc hardtail. lots of kms -- about 2000km year -- and the frame has taken its fair share of abuse. no cracks, no real marks, the paint's held up well.

i rode it stock for a couple of years before swapping out parts and it was fine (other than drivetrain replacements). since then, all parts save the fork have been upgraded and it weighs in at around 24.5lbs.

no point dropping cash on an xc frame that's still going strong, imho.
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!