Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2" riser on NRS

773 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mtbcyclist 
#1 ·
I know, the NRS is a XC bike but right now I can't afford buying a more "all-mountain" oriented bike and I wanted to make my NRS more trail-friendly. I've had the bike for 4 years now and was wondering if it's overkill to throw on 2" risers. I want a more upright position and currently I have a Titec Hellbent 1"riser on it. Just wondering if anyone riding with a 2" riser and is there a lot of difference in climbing efficiency (I do expect some difference of course but I don't want to end up on my back or anything).
Any suggestions???

Thanks!

#2 ·
2" riser

You are refering to the handlebars right? I had 2" riser before I replaced w/ 1" riser, not a problem. It'll definitely be more comfortable on the flats and descends. Didn't feel any difference on the climbs. You can still assume the crouched position even w/ the 2" riser.

#3 ·
yeah, it wont' affect your head angle, so climbing might be similar, although it will transfer weight back a bit, but like grnhrnt mentioned, you can still crouch. It will just look a little funky having the comfort bars (or are you looking at dh bars?) on and xc bike. If you want to convert your NRS to more of a trail bike, pick up a 100mm fork, and the SGF rocker arms that give you 4.5" of travel out back (do a search on this forum, there has been much discussion on them)

#4 ·
BikeSATORI said:
yeah, it wont' affect your head angle, so climbing might be similar, although it will transfer weight back a bit, but like grnhrnt mentioned, you can still crouch. It will just look a little funky having the comfort bars (or are you looking at dh bars?) on and xc bike. If you want to convert your NRS to more of a trail bike, pick up a 100mm fork, and the SGF rocker arms that give you 4.5" of travel out back (do a search on this forum, there has been much discussion on them)
Could have not said it better then BikeSATOI If you want to go one step further in making a Trail Bike NRS go trade in that POS SID shock for a Cloud 9 by Cane Creek. That is what I have and I LOVE the ride. Trail bike feel with out the weight and it still does not bob. The bike is now a downhill bomber where as before it was not (relatively speaking compared to XC bikes and not FR or DH bikes). The bike is faster overall and makes me more confident.

Do a search for SGF and you will find a butt load of info out there on them. The subject has been almost worn out. I converted to them last fall and have never looked back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.