mtbr member

170mm fork and 7.875 x 2.25 shock on '08 Reign

[/QUOTE]

Hey all first time to post in this forum and my reason is that I got awe-struck by Eckstar's '08 Reign. I'm thinking of eventually getting a frame to replace my San Andreas DNA to serve as my AM bike but an wondering whether it could accept my '06 170mm 66 RC2X which is just 10mm higher in terms of travel and AC height compared to Eckstar's Fox 36. I'm also planning to slap a 7.875 x 2.25 rear shock with the objective of increasing the travel from 6 to 6.75 inches. I know that this was possible with the older design but has anyone tried it with the newer version?

I like the new frame because of the lower pivot's relocation which links at the bottom end of the rear shock like that of the IH Sunday and the fact that you can now slap a piggyback shock. I also love it cleaner / swoopy top and down tubes compared to the older version.

Inputs would be appreciated.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    too bad you don't the frames with the " shock cage", otherwise I'd say you are looking for the Reign X

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Can someone answer this once and for all, doesn’t putting a longer shock in push the 2 lower links down causing them to touch the BB?
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Can someone answer this once and for all, doesn’t putting a longer shock in push the 2 lower links down causing them to touch the BB?
    [/SIZE]
    I always thought that the '08 Reign uses a 7.875 x 2.0 shock just like that old one did and putting a 7.875 x 2.25 shock would maintain the eye to eye and while increasing the travel. My concern would be if the rear tire would hit the seat tube or front derailleur because of the additional axle path.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    too bad you don't the frames with the " shock cage", otherwise I'd say you are looking for the Reign X

i just find the '08's sexier and more symmetrical than the older designs including the Reign X. The "shock cage" is what actually put me off with the design because it was harder to reach for the schrader valve, bottom out control, and rebound knob while on the trail.

mtbr member
    [SIZE=2]Oh right, now I got you, eye to eye stays the same but you get more travel out of the shock. Cant you take the air out the shock and see how much space you get to play with for extra travel?
    [/SIZE]

Dishwasher Safe
    The Reign X will likely get a facelift for '09 (similar to the '08 Reign).

Other than voiding the warranty, I don't see any problem with a 170 on the Reign. Though I like everything else about the bike, I don't understand why they spec'd a 6" bike with a 69* head angle. The 36 TALAS @ 160 puts it roughly at 68*. Depending on your A2C (and tires), you'll likely be around 67.75*.

I just bolted up a Roco Air TST R with a 2.25" stroke to mine. Due to the rather long piggyback, It looks like it just clears the downtube by 0.125" at 2.125" compression (most I could get with no air in the main and pushing as hard as I could). There were no interference issues with the swingarm.

If you plan on running something like an RP23 you'll be fine. Anything with a piggyback and you'll need to check for clearance at the downtube.
    Last edited by deadbolt; 06-19-2008 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt

I don't see any problem with a 170 on the Reign. Though I like everything else about the bike, I don't understand why they spec'd a 6" bike with a 69* head angle. The 36 TALAS @ 160 puts it roughly at 68*. Depending on your A2C (and tires), you'll likely be around 67.75*.

I just bolted up a Roco Air TST R with a 2.25" stroke to mine. Due to the rather long piggyback, It looks like it just clears the downtube by 0.125" at 2.125" compression (most I could get with no air in the main and pushing as hard as I could). There were no interference issues with the swingarm.

If you plan on running something like an RP23 you'll be fine. Anything with a piggyback and you'll need to check for clearance at the downtube.
    Glad to know that a 7.875 x 2.25 shock does work for the '08 Reign with no clearance issues. Now I know that my planned setup could work. Initially I might be putting on the Manitou Swinger 4 way Coil that I have on my San Andreas DNA until I sell the Fox RP23 shock that came with it. I plan to run a TST-R Coil to match it with my 66RC2x. I used to have clearance problems with the piggyback's schrader valve hitting the downtube on my KHS FR2000. What I did was I turned the shock upside-down and that cured it. Kindly post a pic for me to appreciate your setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Other than voiding the warranty, I don't see any problem with a 170 on the Reign. Though I like everything else about the bike, I don't understand why they spec'd a 6" bike with a 69* head angle. The 36 TALAS @ 160 puts it roughly at 68*. Depending on your A2C (and tires), you'll likely be around 67.75*.

Couldn't agree more , nickgto be mindful that you may have a very tall front end running a 170 fork on their as the headtube is already quite long. Deadbolt , nice to know that the Roco fits in their as I am considering this rear shock in the future , please let me know how it rides. Cheers

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by eckstar
    Deadbolt , nice to know that the Roco fits in their as I am considering this rear shock in the future , please let me know how it rides. Cheers
    I won't be able to ride it until early next week. I want to make clear that it is a VERY close to hitting with as much as I could compress the shock by hand. There is certainly a chance it could put a small dent in the frame at full compression.

I'll let you know next week after I give it some abuse...

mtbr member
    I won't be able to ride it until early next week. I want to make clear that it is a VERY close to hitting with as much as I could compress the shock by hand. There is certainly a chance it could put a small dent in the frame at full compression.

I'll let you know next week after I give it some abuse...
    If it hits try to install it upside down with the shrader valve facing up and the rebound knob on the top and not at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

works just fine?

does the shock still operate properly if it's upside down? im upgrading my X1 to have a TST R coil. good thing i found this thread because im really worried about the piggyback not clearing the opening of the shock basket.

no piggyback clearance=deep depression

mtbr member
    In terms of clearance on the DTube, you could invert the shock as such, could'nt you!?

mtbr member
    Really...? I had a sneaky feelings it was going to be for 2010 = revamped XO with a few other trick items/ changes