Nicole? Papa?

140mm fork on a 2008 Giant Trance 1

Got a 2008 Giant Trance 1 for a steal. It comes with a 100mm Fox 32 RL, but I fancy putting an adjustable fork on it.

If I could find one (and it wasn't too expensive) I'd ideally go for the 2009 Reba Team U-Turn 90-120mm with a Maxle - but don't think Sram have released them yet.

So I've been looking at the 2009 Revelation 426 U-Turn 110-140mm with a Maxle. It's heavy at about 4.5lbs.

The question is though, I'm not sure if the Trance 2008 (4.2") will handle 140mm worth of travel. I could buy it and run it up to 120/130, but that would defeat the point of getting one.

Any thoughts, advice?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Revelation will be a great fork, just wind down the travel to 120mm or less. It's basically the same fork as a Recon or Reba, just a bit stiffer and more travel, and maybe a touch heavier, but I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have recently fitted a pair of Marzoncchi XC600 ATAs with 100-140mm travel adjustment. Loving the extra travel. Only slight downside is more of a tendency for the front wheel to wander on steep technical climbs. Easily sorted by dialing down the travel. More than compensated by the increased travel on the descents. Go for it although choose a more supple fork than the XC600s

Yung Wun Ho!!
    You also might want to look into the 09 PIKE 426 with the Maxle..It goes from 95-140..Im not sure the type of trails u ride but i think 120mm in most cases is the ideal for weight a semi aggressive/singletrack trail..Personally I would stick with Fox and maybe get a Talas..
    08 Giant Rincon:Bontrager, Azonic, Avid
    09 Giant Trance X3:Worth as much as a used car now
    08 Giant Reign X1 Build:Fox,Avid

I AM I AM
    Well the '09 Rev has pretty much replaced the '08 Air U-Turn Pike. It's a long time since I had my Trance ('06 Trance 3) but when I had it I rode it with a short stem and the Tora extended to 130mm travel. I really liked that set up.

Yes if you get the 140mm fork I reckon you would be tempted to run it at max travel more often than not, but having the U-Turn function and only adjusting between the 110-130 settings kind of defeats the purpose like you say, so maybe JDel has a good point in going for the more adjustable Pike 426.
    It all comes down to weather you'd be looking at lowering it on some occasions or weather you plan to run more travel all the time. If you're not going to use the U-Turn that often then I'd consider getting something else, besides it won't always be practical to slow down and adjust it before that big climb, I find the feature more of a benefit if you're say planning a road ride or commute one day then planning to do some AM the next etc etc.