mtbr member
    Aug 2008

'13 Reign - Frame Squeak (more like a ticking sound) - Help?

Very recently my Reign started making a ticking sound. It sounds very much like a cable tapping the frame. But it's also a creaking type of tick. If that makes sense.

I had this issue earlier and it was a cable bound too tightly with the zip tie; installed a loose zip tie and it was fixed. Given that, I clipped every zip tie on the bike tonight. But it still ticks.

When I push down from the seat, I can FEEL the tick sound in the top frame tube. As I slowly push down, it may tick multiple times, and again, I'm able to feel each tick through the frame.

Anyone else have this issue and a way to fix it? I've gone all over the bike; tomorrow morning I'll pull the crank, the shock, linkage and swingarm to thoroughly grease everything, but I don't really think thats it.

It almost sounds like the frame is flexing?

It drives me completely insane. Like, I-want-to-buy-a-new-bike-insane.

Any insight would be great.

Slower But Faster
    Check your pivot bearings are all clean and in good order and correctly torqued up.

May contain nuts
    Seat clamp/rails & seat post/seat tube are the likely culprits. Grease and go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Seat clamp/rails & seat post/seat tube are the likely culprits. Grease and go.
    I had the

This! I had this with my Trance 29er......clean and grease the seat post every 3 or 4 rides and its not a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Also worth noting - this didn't start happening until I removed my fork for the first time a couple weeks ago. I think it is just an odd coincidence, but who knows. And yeah, I cleaned and re-greased all of the head-releated components. It's tightened properly and torqued.

But as I said above, .. I feel it in the top frame tube. I'll grease the post and rails today first - since I do feel it in the top tube, that makes sense. But I'm skeptical.

EDIT: Scratch the seatpost / rails possibility - it "ticks" when I'm standing. I'll do it anyway, but....
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 10-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Check your pivot bearings are all clean and in good order and correctly torqued up.
    Do what this guy says now! ;-)

Did I say now, I meant right now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Update - tore my bike all apart tonight; removed crank, triangle, linkage, shock, etc.

Every bearing but TWO had any grease in them at all. I popped the seals off each one and packed them with Slick Honey. A couple of them even had a gritty feel as they were rotated (but not much...just enough to possibly equal the "tick" that I'm is the reason for this thread).

I'm also greasing the rear hanger, seatpost & rails to attempt to cover it all at once. I'm betting it's the linkage; they were really dry and didn't feel that great (should have knows - for new motorcycles, the first thing you do is fully grease everything; of course from the factory they will be light on grease....definitely were).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Greased the linkage as I said above. Thought for sure that was the end of the "tick".

Was not it. It was now even worse.

Got home last night after riding, pulled the seat post off, greased the post and seat rails.

So far, I believe that was it. Rode for a couple hours tonight and not one "tick" sound from the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I had a similar problem with my Reign XO 13 have you left a loop of cable and brake line under the bottom bracket? As this makes a tick sound when the shock is compressed it hits them, I have done this without anything catching the loop

Just Ride.
    Sounds like it could be the seat, has it been wet where you ride? Or have you washed the bike? Once it gets dry around the rails they squeak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Reign XO 13 have you left a loop of cable and brake line under the bottom bracket? As this makes a tick sound when the shock is compressed it hits them, I have done this without anything catching the loop
    I'm not quite 100% sure what you mean, but early in the season I had a cable zip-tied pretty tight in that area (from the upper linkage arm, near the shock) - when the suspension would compress it would bind that cable and make a really annoying creaking sound. Installed a new zip tie, but just in a loop like maybe you're saying, and it was fixed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I meant that I pulled the the brake line and rear derailleur cable down so as to form a loop under the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    I meant that I pulled the the brake line and rear derailleur cable down so as to form a loop under the bottom bracket.
    Ok, makes sense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel. View Post
    Sounds like it could be the seat, has it been wet where you ride? Or have you washed the bike? Once it gets dry around the rails they squeak.
    It WAS the seat..seat post actually. It was the last thing I tried because I really thought it was the linkage, but looking back, I could hear the tick as it resonated throughout the top frame tube.

I greased the post, then yeah I took the seat off and greased the rails too. So far, that seems to be what the issue was indeed. I was about to throw the bike off a cliff.