mtbr member
    Aug 2008

'13 Reign 1 / Fork's initial travel is harsh

(I don't read these forums much so maybe this is a common issue)

2013 Giant Reign 1 with the Fox CTD Talas Evo fork.

All is good except the initial travel of the fork; it's way too harsh. It does not seem to absorb those small bumps, chatter and rocks.

I've messed with air pressure but I really think its a valving issue. If I run lower pressure in an attempt to compensate, it is still stiff, but blows through the mid-stroke, and according to my o-ring, I'm using all but 1cm of the travel.

Flying downhill in rough rocks & chatter sucks through - I may as well be on a shorter-travel bike.

I've read that the Talas function is much of the cause of this - true?

Solution? Revalve from someone like Push I guess?

May contain nuts
    All Fox need regular service, oil in lowers may be low or non-existent from new.... worth checking if you haven't all ready. Also make sure the air spring chamber has correct amount of oil - there was a problem where oil was migrating from the lowers into the air spring chamber with 2011-12 Float due to seal design (fixed by replacing foam ring with new seal).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They've been this way from day 1 - my fault for not checking too far into this when it was new...partially because I was waiting to make sure they were broke in.

I'll talk to my dealer and see what they think - they are warrantying my drop-post so I need to go in there soon to talk to them anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I want to revisit this - I have yet to do anything about the issue, but I just emailed Fox and Push to see what can be done.

I talked to my dealer; they said that the Talas could be removed with a Float damper "which could potentially ease up a source of friction", but I want a firm solution and not a "probably".

A TON of bikes came with CTD this year, but doesn't anyone else think they completely lack suitable damping in the initial stroke? I hit a small, abrupt channel in the trail tonight and felt a huge shock through the bars - it just can't absorb sudden hits. Pretty annoying.

Anyone else have this issue and what have you done to fix it? (we'll see what Fox and Push has to say).