12' AX 29er 1 or 13' AX Advanced 29er 1
I currently ride an 07' Giant Trance 2 and have the opportunity to buy a 12' Anthem X 29er 1 (on sale) now on sale with cash money or should I wait till the Spring when I have saved another $2.5k for the 13' AX Advanced 29er1.
I'm a 50+ year old intermediate rider that rides 80% XC in NorCal with occasional trips to AM riding areas for the other 20%. I also plan on riding 6-8 hr. endurance races (as long as the body holds up) as well.
Is the carbon frame and upgraded components worth the wait and extra $$?
Apart from the components, the carbon frame (only main triangle) is about 185 grams lighter and probably a little bit more stiff. The alu frame is already very light. The carbon frame looks better?
For 2.5 k you can do a lot of nice upgrades, mainly wheels, cassette and contact points.
Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
12 Anthem X29
13 XTC 29
07 Epic Marathon carbon
04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
00 Rockhopper Pro
Obviously, tastes and opinions vary, but I have no doubt that $2500 in upgrades to an aluminum Anthem 29er would give you a ride far superior to the stock carbon Anthem.
Just a wheelset upgrade alone would probably make the cheaper Anthem a better bike than the carbon one IMO. This would still leave a lot of $$$ for drivetrain, cockpit, etc upgrades.
I'd give the Fox fork the nod over the SID as well, I have the Anthem 29er 0 and the SID doesn't ride anywhere close to the Fox forks I'm used to riding. Nice fork, but doesn't eat up trail chatter like the Fox in my experience.
Yeah, as nice as the carbon is, 2500 can buy you a good bit in the upgrade department, and it sounds like you'd be able to start riding it sooner (now vs spring). The only thing you'd be missing out on is the sweet XT brakes, which you can easily buy aftermarket.
I just went through this same analysis. I bought a '13 Anthem X 29er 1 about two weeks ago. Weight with the LBS platform pedals and heavy tubes was around 26' 12" so i figure with egg beaters and tubeless set up it is maybe 26.5 pounds.
So far really happy with the bike. The bars are too wide and I think wheels a bit heavy but got bike for $2550 so can't really complain. I like the new CTD Fox suspension. Some say it is "dumbed down" but I am mainly a road and TT guy so don't mind being called dumb when it comes to complex MTB suspension systems.
12' AX 29er 1 or 13' AX Advanced 29er 1
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I finally took delivery of the 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 that was priced to make room for the 2013's.
Can't wait to ride my new bike. It's a full 3 pounds lighter than my 07' Giant Trance 2 at just under 27 pounds and it's all stock except the XT pedals and converted wheels over to tubeless. I can see an upgraded wheelset in the future but have not decided what to go with yet. I'll ride it with the stock bars, stem and seat for now and see how it feels especially on longer rides.
A couple of pics of the new ride and the rider (my wife said I look like a kid on Xmas morning).
You will LOVE that bike! I picked mine up last October and it's been a blast!!! I swapped the seat, went tubeless and have been thrilled ever since!! I find it to be a very stiff bike (XL size) and just a great all around bike!
I'd try to get used to riding without the pro-pedal on the shock engaged. It's too hard to reach, and once you get used to the ride in the "open" position, there isn't really any need for the pro-pedal platform, IME.
Here are my recommendations after having ridden the Athem X29er 1 for about 3 months now:
Swap the wheelset. The stock ones are heavy and miserable tubeless. I really liked the American Classic Race 29er wheels. They aren't cheap ($1k MSRP) but they are as light as most carbon wheels (1420g) and they are strong. Super nice tubeless as well.
Change out the rear shock. The Fox RP23 isn't in the same league as the Monarch RT3. Especially when used with the Maestro rear end. Very different feel for the entire bike, it changes everything.
With those two changes, you'll have an entirely new feeling bike, for the better.
Everything else is fluff you can change over time.
Have fun with it.
I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah
Thanks for the owner feedback. Very interesting reading. Wheel upgrades are a given I think, however I was suprised at your commen on the shox. I'm trying to decide between the UK Anthem X1 29er and the X2 29er, the difference being Fox vs Rockshox and your commend on the RT3 was sparked my interest.
Originally Posted by Silentfoe
I have a Fuel EX8 with fox RP2 on it and am now getting an anthem for XC duties, but have no expeirence of Rockshox (well rear anyhow) or Maestro. So was wondering if you know whether the RT3 you mention is the same as that supplied on the 2013 X2?
What was the problem with the RP23?
Thanks in advance.