Thread: 11 Talon 1

mtbr member

11 Talon 1

Just picked it up yesterday. This is my first Giant. Not my first 29er but my first 29er with a suspension. This bike looks amazing. Haven't had a chance to even ride it on the street yet due to the terrible weather in PA. I think I'm going to love it though, hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures soon.
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

mtbr member
    so, any updates? how are you liking it? i'm looking at buying one here in the next couple weeks.
    Diamondback Assault dirt jumper, hayes, shimano, saint, etc...
    Trailhound Smokers, competition BBQ team.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselfuel
    so, any updates? how are you liking it? i'm looking at buying one here in the next couple weeks.
    well it's been hard to really ride here in PA...snowing again as I write this...I did make it to the trails once and it's a great bike. The fork is pretty decent for being stock...There's nothing bad I have to say about this bike. Though with the $975 MSRP, I wish Giant would put a little better components on the bike. I replaced the stem, saddle and pedals. The integrated headset is nice though. This is the first time I have ever used SRAM components and the X-5 is pretty nice. The brakes are great. Rides great on the trails, rolls over everything, you should buy this bike.

mtbr member
    thanks man! i've been out of mountain biking for about 10yrs and i'm really excited to get back into it. i looked at the giants at my LBS but didn't have time to ride one, going back this week on my days off. i keep hearing nothing but good for the most part. sorry about the weather, its overcast and mid 60s today here in Las Vegas.
    Diamondback Assault dirt jumper, hayes, shimano, saint, etc...
    Trailhound Smokers, competition BBQ team.

mtbr member

New question here.

I saw this post on the bottom. Just wanted to see if you still have your Talon and if so have you made any additional improvements?
    Just your friendly neighborhood gorilla on a bike…

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical19 View Post
    I saw this post on the bottom. Just wanted to see if you still have your Talon and if so have you made any additional improvements?
    Hey...still love the bike...the fork is okay..i reread what i previously said about it...plus i see the msrp is up on the 12...anyway...didnt do much..new stem, dropped the bars, new saddle...i would recommend it...im 6'1'' 237 lbs and this bike is great for my size...any other questions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave View Post
    Hey...still love the bike...the fork is okay..i reread what i previously said about it...plus i see the msrp is up on the 12...anyway...didnt do much..new stem, dropped the bars, new saddle...i would recommend it...im 6'1'' 237 lbs and this bike is great for my size...any other questions?
    Thanks for the info. I was just curious as to the upgrades some of the owner Talon owners were doing… just to compare you know! + rep

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical19 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was just curious as to the upgrades some of the owner Talon owners were doing… just to compare you know! + rep
    Did I see pics of yours with a fox fork? Or some other fork? I need a new one...just wondering about pricing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have mine and I love it.
    So far,
    I have converted it to a 1x9 and replaced the front fork with a marzocchi 44 micro ti. The white non tapered version. Took about 30 minutes to install while watching tv. It is much better than the suntour it came with.
    replaced the stock crossmark up front with a ardent and converted to ghetto tubeless.

How do you like the brakes? do they feel weak to you? can you lock up the front on pavement if you try?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whooda View Post
    I have mine and I love it.
    So far,
    I have converted it to a 1x9 and replaced the front fork with a marzocchi 44 micro ti. The white non tapered version. Took about 30 minutes to install while watching tv. It is much better than the suntour it came with.
    replaced the stock crossmark up front with a ardent and converted to ghetto tubeless.

How do you like the brakes? do they feel weak to you? can you lock up the front on pavement if you try?
    I'll update in the coming weeks. I am getting all the upgrades done this week. I like the the Giant Root brakes. Let me tell you for stock OEM brakes there really good. They stop on a dime for me.

I will upgrade to SLK Shifters, Fox Fork, HG-61 Cassette and added Continental Mountain King tires.

mtbr member
    Finished
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11 Talon 1-photo-5.jpg  

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    i wonder who's bike that is lol...

mtbr member
    I love mine too !!! kills the trails

mtbr member
    One thing I did, and this is for those of you who don't have the funds to get new flat bars; I flipped the headset so it now angles down. Improved geometry for climbing.

mtbr member
    By headset I am referring to the stem. Sorry