Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383

    '09 Trance X Lineup(?)

    OK so I've heard (pretty much already a given I guess) that the '09 lineup of Trance X's for the US will be shifted upwards possibly. Meaning that the 09 X2 will be essentially the same bike components-wise as the current X1, and there will be other models or a model below it, I'd guess an X3. The X2 will be priced a few hundred $ more than the current X1 also, but again allegedly the same components essentially. One thing I also have heard is that there will be different colors, not the anodized frames I've come to know and love. I don't know how I feel about this.

    I guess I'm only posting this to see if anyone else has heard of any of this, and can feed my curiosity a little bit. Reason is, I was looking for a current X1 (which seems impossible to find currently), and I wanted to snatch one up before I have to settle for perhaps less bike for the same money. I know I'll pay a bit more for an 09 which I guess I can stomach, as long as I'm getting an equal level of components. Otherwise, it's ebay time!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    [SIZE=2]I heard an interesting one that if the Anthem X replaces the Trance then there will be no need to call it the Trance X so it will just be the 120mm travel Trance line with no X but I guess that is one of the least important changes they could make.

    There is already an X3 in Europe so what you say makes sense to me but having not seen them I wouldn’t imagine there is any big reason to go for the 09 over the 08.

    To be honest I’m not a real fan of the anodized they use on the Trance X, I prefer the tough Matte blue in vulnerable areas to mud and scratches and brushed/clear coat everywhere else which is what they used on my ordinary 08 Trance.
    [/SIZE]

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Thanks for the reply. My main concern is that I hope I don't regret not getting an '08. I think in all honesty if I end up with an '09 I'll be just as happy. Thing is, I wanted to snatch up an '08 X1 but they just aren't available, and the LBS tells me Giant is out of them so unless I find one it'll have to be an '09 and all the questions regarding those won't be answered I guess until mid-August.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 743power's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    334
    there will be a trance x4 for '09, so I would assume they are shifting the numbering to make the x1 the highest model, like they did a few years back.

  5. #5
    Slower But Faster
    Reputation: BrentD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]I wouldn’t imagine there is any big reason to go for the 09 over the 08.[/SIZE]
    One good reason for going for an '09 over an '08 will be that the '09 is almost certain to come with a thru-axle fork of some kind, either the new 15mm Fox/'zocchi standard or the lighter weight 20mm RS maxle system. Well worth waiting for IMHO.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD
    One good reason for going for an '09 over an '08 will be that the '09 is almost certain to come with a thru-axle fork of some kind, either the new 15mm Fox/'zocchi standard or the lighter weight 20mm RS maxle system. Well worth waiting for IMHO.

    Thanks for the insight, good call on that. I have no choice but to wait anyhow, I was just a bit unclear as to what I will be waiting for. Supposedly mid-August they will have the new stuff up on the sight, though that seems a bit optimistic for me....we'll see.

  7. #7
    E !
    E ! is offline
    .........................
    Reputation: E !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,094

    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by 743power
    there will be a trance x4 for '09, so I would assume they are shifting the numbering to make the x1 the highest model, like they did a few years back.
    The trance x4 is already out. We have one at our shop. Black. Great price point. Deore components.Giant shock . marz bomber fork. very similar to 08 trance 2 but with deore hydro's.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    54
    They are out of Trance X framesets as well. I was going to have the lbs order me one today, but the rep told them I will have to wait till mid to end of August before the 09's will be available.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD
    One good reason for going for an '09 over an '08 will be that the '09 is almost certain to come with a thru-axle fork of some kind, either the new 15mm Fox/'zocchi standard or the lighter weight 20mm RS maxle system. Well worth waiting for IMHO.
    [SIZE=2]To tell the truth the combination of a heavy/non flexible wheelset, a long head tube and my fetish for over tightened QR’s because I have a phobia the wheel may drop of at some point means my dads Trance X2 is pretty stiff at the front but I’d still like to give the 15mm Fox system a go...
    [/SIZE]

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    386
    The new X2 will be mostly the same spec-wise with maybe a minor change or two. The price should ~ $200 more than 08. This is according to three local shops I've been hounding trying to get mine. I'm hoping the new colors aren't ghey.. 08s are definitely gone.

    If it worked - see attached for the X4. I'm guessing since the new X2 will be ~ $2k this bike is around $1,300 kinda like the 08 trance 2 was..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    The new X2 will be mostly the same spec-wise with maybe a minor change or two. The price should ~ $200 more than 08. This is according to three local shops I've been hounding trying to get mine. I'm hoping the new colors aren't ghey.. 08s are definitely gone.

    If it worked - see attached for the X4. I'm guessing since the new X2 will be ~ $2k this bike is around $1,300 kinda like the 08 trance 2 was..
    I'm in a similar situation, was hounding shops about an '08 x1, no dice. Heard similar things though, except that the new x2 will be the same as the current x1, maybe $200 more (also heard it'll be white and silver), so it stands to reason the new x3 will be like the current x2, Leaving space for the afforementioned x4. So it's very possible apparently that the x0 is gone and the x1 is the new top of the range?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by GT5050
    I'm in a similar situation, was hounding shops about an '08 x1, no dice. Heard similar things though, except that the new x2 will be the same as the current x1, maybe $200 more (also heard it'll be white and silver), so it stands to reason the new x3 will be like the current x2, Leaving space for the afforementioned x4. So it's very possible apparently that the x0 is gone and the x1 is the new top of the range?
    Exactly - so the former X2 will be the X3 with the same ~ spec. You hear anything on the color scheme for the "X3?"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    Exactly - so the former X2 will be the X3 with the same ~ spec. You hear anything on the color scheme for the "X3?"

    I didn't hear anything about the other colors, I was really hounding them about getting an X1 so they gave me info on next year's "X1" replacement, the X2. They did give me August 11 (if I remember correctly) as the date the website should have this stuff up, so not too long from now. My jury's still out on the paint thing, I kind of liked the stealthy anodized look of the '08's, it was different than all of the other flashy paint jobs out there on some other brand. Though for paint jobs, the 2 color Giant ones aren't overdone, so that's good.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    386
    If the X4 is black and white and the X2 is going to be white and silver, maybe the X3 will be blue and white..? That would be sweet..

    August 11th isn't too far off. My shop here said they were meeting with the giant rep this week to get the full low-down on the mtn line..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    [SIZE=2]Here we go, in order, X0 X1 X2 X3, I personally think they’ve done a great job with colours and specs but I guess the X1 won’t be selling so well for some people.




    [/SIZE]

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    386
    Wow! Thanks dude. I like the X3 colors a lot. So, does this mean the naming convention bumped down - i.e., the X2 is now the X3?? It looks like the X2 in the pics has the lockout and nicer fork like the X1 did for 08?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    Wow! Thanks dude. I like the X3 colors a lot. So, does this mean the naming convention bumped down - i.e., the X2 is now the X3?? It looks like the X2 in the pics has the lockout and nicer fork like the X1 did for 08?
    [SIZE=2]Yeah, XT shifters and Deus cranks on the X2 now, they’ve moved the kit up a bit on all of them, but the kit is still up for debate because Giant specs bikes differently in different countries and those believe it or not are the Russian models.
    [/SIZE]

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Thanks for that post, helps clear up some of the questions/worries I had about colors. Kind of helps confirm what my lbs told me about the x2, he said essentially it was going to be the same bike that the x1 was. He told me 2300 their price, and for purposes of gettig an idea about 09 price increases, they were selling the x1 for 1999, so it looks like a 15% price increase. And yeah, I'd have to see that x1 in person, that color looks a bit much in the picture.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    386
    Did you hear price for the X3? That would jive with what I heard for an increase for the X2 (now to be X3).. they told me roughly 200 more and 08s were selling for 1,800 around here
    Last edited by MtnBikeNC; 07-24-2008 at 05:46 AM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    383
    Actually, they were selling the 08 x1 for 1999, they told me the new x2 would be 2300. So since this shop was selling the old x2 for 1599, the new x3 will most likely be 1800-1900 from that particular shop. I too like most of the new colors though.

  21. #21
    siv
    siv is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: siv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    649
    Any word on the regular Reigns? Really just wondering about the fork and if it will be the new FOX with thru axle and what length of travel.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,030
    That new X0 looks sweet with the XTR cranks and what looks to be the new Fox shock.

    Looks like the X0 and X1 both have the Crossmax wheels.

    The 2009 X1 looks like this years X0 spec wise. Too bad it's my least favourite colour of the 4 ot them.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EGF168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,420
    Quote Originally Posted by siv
    Any word on the regular Reigns? Really just wondering about the fork and if it will be the new FOX with thru axle and what length of travel.
    [SIZE=2]Someone ask for Reign’s? here is the Reign 0, 1 and 2:



    Look close, they've all got the new 15mm axles and probably still 140mm travel.
    [/SIZE]

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rydog9991's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    285
    Wow the X1 color is gonna take some time to grow on me.

  25. #25
    siv
    siv is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: siv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]Someone ask for Reign’s? here is the Reign 0, 1 and 2:



    Look close, they've all got the new 15mm axles and probably still 140mm travel.
    [/SIZE]

    Thanks, now we wait and save some money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •