Thread: '09 Reign1

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

'09 Reign1

my new toy...frame size is small. everthing is stock except the ODI grips. weighed in at 29lbs but who cares...plush, plush, plush!
    Attached Images Attached Images

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    nice new ride...did you just buy this bike at The Bike Connection in PA?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks! i got the bike at an LBS in Palo Alto, California

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by wignacio
    thanks! i got the bike at an LBS in Palo Alto, California
    by PA in indeed meant Palo Alto. I think I was there when you were trying to decide between this bike and a Trance X

Chiller
    Guys I have 09 Reign and need to get a bike rack for it. I am not sure what type to use. Any suggestions would be great.

wait...what?
    nice ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i have a truck and i dont like to take the wheel on/off so my recommendation is the THULE 916 T2. this is a hitch rack. it can accomodate 2 bikes with the option of 4, any size of bike. another recommendation are the SARIS racks but the price are on the high side. you should also check out the YAKIMA..

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Thanks!

thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Congratulations!
    I'm looking at the same bike so would be interested in a detailed review when you have some time. Also, interested in knowing what you pd. (if you don't mind sharing) and if the pedals came OEM. I ask b/c the bike is specked w/ them but my LBS says it comes w/o pedals and are trying to "sell" me them seperately. jPotentially not cool.
    Thanks and have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Congratulations

according to giant's website, the bike should come in a crank bros. smarty pedals. mine didnt come one either because i had my own and its better than the stock one. on the price, you can get one for at least $800 off msrp. ive only ridden this bike a couple of times here in N Cali.. its an awesome bike! very stable on the downhill, its a confidence builder bike, the kenda nevegals really sticks well to the ground, you can pretty much roll over anything. climbing is also good. i cant feel any bob when pedaling those long fireroads. the 15mm thru axle really tracks well. for the first time, i was able to clear a rock garden section that i normally would just walk it on my other bike. the fork and the rear shock really compliments well. once dialed in, it's super plush. brakes are also nice. IMO its way better than the juicy's it modulates really well and its not grabby. it reminds me of the shimano XTR that i used to have. the weight is not that bad either. mine came under 30lbs w/o pedals and im sure with a lighter wheelset, you bring down the weight more. remember, this is an ALL Mtn bike. this bike meant to go down and tackle any obstacles that you throw at it. if you are more aggressive rider, go for the reign X

Chiller

Reign'n

I have had my Reign since Early January and I can say that it's a great ride. i'm a bit slower on the uphill when riding but still make it up. Coming down though, watch out! hitting jumps feel great and just flying down is superb. My front brake squeeks a bit but they slow me down instantly. I have a Reign 2 so different spec than the higher end models however I upgraded to 09 XO rear derailler and X9 shifters and will be putting on the Deus Crank shortly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Sweet!

have you considered putting a bashguard on your cranks? but yeah you're right..its a bit slower on the climbs. i'm thinking of changing my tires to a skinnier ones so it can climb better. the shifters are my next upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Being screwed by my LBS !?!?

Thanks wignacio.
    I think i'd buy the bike in a second w/o giving it a second thought if someone were selling for anything in the vicinity of $800 off the MSRP. You'd think in this economy they'd offer a little break but . . . my LBS (who I have given lots of business and cash to over the last 4years through parts, upgrades, repairs and tune-ups to 5 different bikes) wants the $2900 MSRP. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to take my business elsewhere. Anyone know a shop willing to deal on a 2009 Reign 1?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

That's sucks!

especially if you've been a customer for a long time and spent money at their shop and not willing to negotiate with you.

Chiller
    What will a bash guard do for me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Just a Thought

i had experience hitting my big chainring hopping over something and i bent the teeth. i really dont use the big chainring so i replaced it with a bashguard. i guess if you're not really aggressive you dont need it. it all depends on your riding style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnewMadrid
    What will a bash guard do for me?

It allows your bike to slide over rocks and logs on the trail. It keeps grease off your leg. It keeps you from spearing your leg with the big ring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the lbs just got the 09's in, they dont want to cut deals on them. if you wait till the 2010's are out, then they'll cut you deals.

its time to find an 08 reign.. i got 1100 bucks off my trance because it was a year old (brand new, never ridden, full warranty).

i definitely want to trade up to a reign!

slamma

Medium or Large (help!) im gonna order a 0 next week..

Quote Originally Posted by AnewMadrid
    I have had my Reign since Early January and I can say that it's a great ride. I'm a bit slower on the uphill when riding but still make it up. Coming down though, watch out! hitting jumps feel great and just flying down is superb. My front brake squeeks a bit but they slow me down instantly. I have a Reign 2 so different spec than the higher end models however I upgraded to 09 XO rear derailleur and X9 shifters and will be putting on the Deus Crank shortly.

Hey is that a MED frame, I don't know what size to get,,I'm 5 11" - I'm between a M and L
    but I'm not sure which one to choose, i feel like i could ride a M with a long stem or large with a short stem.

would you or anyone happen to know what the main differences in performance are gonna
    be between the two...I'm basically only concerned with my knees hitting the handle bars on steep climbs,, it happens on my current NRS 18.5 frame, my front wheel seems to be pretty hard to keep down on steeps,,i have a Manitou MIN fork up from usually set at 120mm its probably the reason.... but anyway, one more concern would be twisty single track and downhill performance differences,,,my buddy has a large Niota and i was a biatch to navigate around twisty single track and it felt like i was just along for the rider on the down hills,, the top tube for the bike is 24.5 and he has a 120 mm stem on it, obviously too big for me but my NRS was out of commission..

could i get some input on the differences in these frame sizes i ride a little if everything I'm
    not one to launch off jumps or too any type of free ridding just trails.
    Ride with timeless creed

Chiller

Reign 2 Size

my bike is a small, i'm only 5' 7" and seems to fit me good. Great bike though.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    SPRAG, I ride a large reign O, I'm 5', 11" +, but have long arms & legs. I do bang knees on son's med frame. For my bod, I"d get the large & put a "real" short stem on. Tough call for you, what does your shop say?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you enjoy technical trails and some jumps, get the medium at 5'11". If you have a long torso, you might want a large. I always get the smallest frame I can comfortably use, because it's lighter, easier to throw around, and stiffer. Not to mention a lower stand-over height.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    if i were you, i'll go to my lbs and get fitted or demo one before buying it. i'm 5'4" and i have a small. the standover is kind of high but the top tube is just perfect for me. i can climb those technical steep hills and can bomb down pretty good too. by the way, i just did a 3K ft ride on my R1 and my back didnt even hurt.....this msg is for SPRAG

slamma
    I will, but they don't have any in stock. so i don't have anything to test it against. a while back i tested a yeti 575 and i am definitely a med. so looking at the Geo. and the EFF top tube, the 575 is23.8 and the reign is 24 negligible. so i figure large, short stem.
    Ride with timeless creed