mtbr member
    Sep 2008

09 Anthem X Tire Q

Got an X2 sitting in the living room, haven't been able to ride much due to weather. I'm not a tire expert but the Michelin XC Dry2 seems a bit small for the front. Any opinions of these tires? For me its a pleasure bike, I don't race, and like to ride SW Colorado single track.

I was thinking of getting something more aggresive for the front and use the XCD2 as a rear replacement for when I wear the existing one out. I was thinking of a Nevegal (26x2.1) since they get alot of good reviews but I'm not sure whether to get the DTC or stick-e compound. Any set up recommendations regarding tire model/size/compound would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    In USA it seems that people prefer relatively narrow tyres. In Germany the trend is to go for wider tyres - 2.25 (e.g. Schwalbe Nobby Nic) is nearly standard. I prefer a 2.4 tyre for the front (Conti Mountain King Supersonic) and 2.25 (Schwalbe Racing Ralph) on the rear. They are better in most aspects: damping, snakebites, grip, rolling resistance on rougher terrain.

Hugged a Yeti Today?

DTCs 2.1 on X2

I tried a few different tires on my X2... The stock Michelins, Panaracers, Specialized, etc. I have always liked the Nevegal DTCs in 2.3 on other bikes and I wasnt getting the performance I was used to with any of the tires I was trying. I got a pair of the DTCs in 2.1 and found the perfect tire for the X2. Its a high volume tire that isnt that much heavier than the Michelins. The tires hold no matter how hard I push em, but you can easily slide em when you want. With some of the other light weight tires I was tearing off knobs and cut the sidewalls on the Specialized tires. I have no problems with the Nevegals and get all the performance of the 2.3s in just about any trail condition other than rock gardens, which is asking alot from the 2.1s. Unless you ride in pretty wet conditions with lots of roots or rocks I would say get the DTCs over the StickE. DTC is faster, and holds the corners just as well. By far my favorite tire for this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ended up ordering a DTC 2.1 to put on the front. I shall see how it works out but I'm pretty confident it'll give me some more confidence in the front. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The nevegals will grip like crazy but have a lot of rolling resistance (because of tread pattern not size). Thats not an issue if you are a trail rider but if you are a racer you are better off with a faster rolling tire like a WTB Wolverine 2.2.

Older & Slower
    I have an X2, but run Kenda Karma 2.0 and SB8 1.95 because my trails are pretty mellow.

BUT...I have experienced a variety of DTC Nevegals and the WTB Wolerine 2.2...

I would highly recommend the Wolverine 2.2 for what you ride...they have good grip with less rolling resistance. WTB is coming out with a Wolerine 1.95. The Wolverine 2.2 is a BIG tire, so I'm thinking the 1.95 version would look more like a 2.1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    I have an X2, but run Kenda Karma 2.0 and SB8 1.95 because my trails are pretty mellow.

BUT...I have experienced a variety of DTC Nevegals and the WTB Wolerine 2.2...

I would highly recommend the Wolverine 2.2 for what you ride...they have good grip with less rolling resistance. WTB is coming out with a Wolerine 1.95. The Wolverine 2.2 is a BIG tire, so I'm thinking the 1.95 version would look more like a 2.1.
    They are big but the folding race version is still pretty light.