mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. 08 Trance w/Push RP23 Issue

Hi,
    Just got my new Push Industries RP23 and rode for first time yesterday. I liked the ride, felt smoother and more connected to trail while having better propedal action. One major problem, had a squeaking noise as soon as I started hitting bumps. Thought maybe I assembled incorrectly, although it's only two inner/two outer spacers, I correctly torqued, etc. Then I tried experimenting with propedal settings: with propedal off, squeak went away. Thus, must be shock. Seemed more pronounced in propedal 2, but there in 1 and 3 also. Rode about 90 minutes and squeak diminished the longer I rode, but never completely went away. I have an email in to Push, it might be going back.
    Anyone have any ideas? Think it's just a break-in period?

Thanks,
    Bob

sinner
    Jan 2007
    I am not sure what causes it but It is the pro pedal that is making the noise. My rp23 does it too. I don't use the pro pedal in the woods so it doesn't bug me. Push told me it was normal. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My RP23 does the same but usually only on propedal setting 1. Sounds like chirping it is somewhat annoying, but what can you do.

Mine wasn't into push but was rebuilt, with the valving changed a little. For me it is only setting #1 that does this, haven't had the off position or #2 or #3 make any sounds. FWIW mine is set somewhere between 2 and 3 bars for compression and 1 bar for rebound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I replaced an RP2 that came with the bike, it never made any noise so Push's assertion that this is normal is doubtful. Sounds like the problem is out there though.
    Take Care

29 some of the time...
    I have the chirp too. Pretty annoying. I generally ride with the pp off, but I do want to have the ability to turn it on without the noise of 20 parakeets twittering around my shock
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rp23

Hi,

The word I got from Push is that the Trance is a high leverage bike. With the optimized tune for the Trance, there is a resonance in the propedal rod. They offered to take the shock back and retune to eliminate the resonance but I'm assuming this would give less than optimal tune.
    I rode the shock for two 1.5 hour rides. After about an hour on the first ride the chirp went away. On the next ride, I tried different settings and the chirp came back but faded out after awhile. I've left it on propedal 1 since then, no chirp. I suspect if I turn propedal off and on again or change propedal settings it will come back temporarily. I'm happy with the 1 setting, though.
    Push said they ride this bike with the RP23 either on 3 to climb fireroads or off at all other times. They noted apparent bob but stated that it does not sap any power as it does not contribute to chain growth. Mentally, I still feel it, so I run mine in 1. I ride east coast trails that are constantly up or down, so that's different than Colorado, for sure. I'm happy with the shock, I think that it does ride noticeably better, really stays glued to the trail and very comfortable.
    They did say that they thought that the Maestro was one of the best designs out there.

Bob