mtbr member
    Feb 2008

08' Trance 1 sizing? HELP!

I'm a 5'9"/8.5" (with shoes) - 200 lb. rider. I feel like I am between a small and medium frame. I have always ridden a Medium (17.5?) in specialized mtn. bikes. I'm coming from an old FSR so I'm having trouble determining whether the "new" geometry of a 4+" travel bike is throwing me off or whether the medium is truly too big. Any thoughts? FYI I have only ridden the trance X2 in a small and a medium. The small was pretty cramped and the medium felt good, but big. I'm looking to make a decision pretty quick - I think the trance is the bike for me but I'm anxious about dropping that kind of coin if the fit is not spot on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It really depends on your preference. I know that is a very generic answer, but here is what I mean. If the small feels too cramped, then you can always change out handlebar/stem to open up the cockpit. If the medium feels to big, then shortening the stem (if you are too sprawled out) might do the trick. If the frame geometry is too big on the medium, and you dont feel like you will be able to handle the bike well enough, perhaps focus on the Small frame.

My buddy is right around your height (maybe an inch shorter), and he has a Medium Ellsworth Truth and a Small Superlite. So, its a matter of getting on the bikes, again, and asking the shop which they (and you) feel is best for you. They can see the arch in your neck, your extension, angles, etc. Things you cant see that well. I'd ask them to swap out the easy/significant parts like a stem (if need be) to feel if you can work with that particular frame.

I personally ride a Medium Trance and I am 5'10-5'11". Textbook fitting says I should be on a Large, but I like to throw my bike around. More control. So I changed out some cockpit parts and it fits fine.

Giddy Up!
    I'm 5'10 and on a Trance X1 medium. Did not even considered a small frame.
    Medium is spot on..

CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Turns out I'm closer to 5'8" with my cycling shoes on. I decided to go with the small knowing I'll have to change up the stem and maybe the seatpost. Call me old-school but the small, while a hair cramped without the benefit of an indepth fitting, seemed to disappear under me. The medium just felt huge and cumbersome - especially out of the saddle. Sure I could ride it, but there was no way I could control it like I could the small. Ideally, I would get a 17" frame but it's either 16 or 18. All the measurements I took suggest a 16.5". It'll probably take a week to come in....we'll know when it get's here.