Thread: 08 Rincon

Billings, Montana
    May 2008

08 Rincon

Hey guys, I just bought my first mountain bike. It's the Olive/black Rincon with the "hard surface?" tires. My plan for it is to help me get back into shape, and because I raced bmx and had a lot of fun on the dirt jump trails growing up, I would like to start riding agressive jumps again someday. I really like this bike, and it fit my budget perfectly, but I can tell that some of the components are cheaper to keep the cost down. SO my question is because I am new to this is what should I upgrade to without getting ridiculous. I can tell the fork is a weak point, but I have no idea what I should plan for later. Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as a fork that will fit and provide better damping, and brakes that have a little more grunt, and any other suggestions?

At some point I imagine getting into free riding, but i'm not 17 anymore so probably no huge hits... =P

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi,

I have the 2008 Rincon and really like it. Since I got it in February, I upgraded a lot...I now run a 1X8 drive train, with SRAM Attack shifter and Avid break levers. The rear break was changed by Giant with a BB5 after the stock one broke (Giant has great customer service). I then changed the front break with a BB 7. BB 7=great cheap breaks (read the reviews on MTBR.com).

To get to your fork question: after doing a lot of research, and after I realized that I'm not that crazy to invest in a fork more that I paid for the bike, I got the Marzocchi MZ Supercomp for $149 from Price Point. Compared with that stock Suntour XCM, the Marzocchi is a dream. Also for what I use it, which is XC to aggressive XC, on trails with lots of rock gardens it handles very good...for this price I do not know what else I could have gotten. I also looked at the Rockshox Dart 3, but was advised by Price Point customer service that the Marzocchi would be better. Now to answer your question if you would like to start freeriding and DJ'ing, I think you should invest more money in the fork. If you want to stick to XC or light all mountain then the MZ Supercomp or the Tora 302 coil U turn will do.

If you do your homework you'll find a lot of good deals on internet. Good luck and enjoy it!

Ken
    Ye Olde Phartt
    My son rode a Giant Rincon this past Saturday on some aggressive trails, drops, and dirt jumps. I'm not sure if it was an 07 or 08 but check the photos. It was a rental from a local bike shop because my son broke a dérailleur on his Cannondale not long after we got to the trails/jumps. He wasn't ready to shell out bucks for new parts yet (and we were about 1.5 hours from home) so he decided to try the rental for the remainder of the day since it was only $25.

After a couple hours of riding, I noticed a large crack in the crown where the shock tube is inserted. The bike was never crashed or dropped hard. My son weighs about 150 lbs and was getting some pretty good air off the jumps. However, he never crashed a landing and generally landed smoothly on the decline.

The bike shop was kind enough not to charge me for the damage (I would think it should be under warranty since it was only 6 months old) but told me that the bike is not designed for DJ and that we should not have been jumping it.

Obviously, our experience with this model is limited to half a day's ride but I thought I would share it since you talked about dirt jumping.

- SR fork is a serious weakness
    - Brakes were great but this was our first experience with disks
    - bike felt well-balanced for jumping and pump track
    - Rear dérailleur was relatively slow on the upshift
    - Tires looked suitable for pavement and hardpack dirt but not aggressive enough tread for loose dirt, sand, or mud

From Santos Bike S...