Build More = Ride More

08 Reign X1. ISCG or ISCG '05?

Which one does the RX1 take?

I want to get a blackspire stinger, but don't know which one to get.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My '07 is ISCG. If you google ISCG they have templates showing the two so you can measure to be sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

it's neither.

i just ordered three guides for my 08 x til one fit. it is not an 05 or an iscg, it is an iscg old. (different from these) old is not 05, there are three kinds. hope this helps.

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehick
    i just ordered three guides for my 08 x til one fit. it is not an 05 or an iscg, it is an iscg old. (different from these) old is not 05, there are three kinds. hope this helps.
    Thanks for the heads up.

I guess it doesn't really matter now, since I just ordered a Turner Highline as a replacement for the RX1. RX1 is going to be a more dedicated AM/XC bike than DH/FR for now on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehick
    what's the difference between ISCG and "ISCG old"?
    I've heard ISCG often has different mounting angles since it's not defined in the standard, so is "old" just a variation on the angle?

Blackspire don't list an "old" ISCG.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

mtbr member
    The difference is they have the mounting positions from BDC on the BB at slightly different points from each other around the circumference and also based on the variation of BB models such as the ISIS Overdirve and that of more contemporary iterations of the BMX styled BB to that of more old styled MTB BB's. At least that my take on it at any rate.

From the ISCG site
    ISCG 05 was developed by the engineers at e.thirteen components with support and feedback from members of the ISCG 05 consortium. Its conception was the result of several years of the bicycle industry using the original ISCG standards, pioneered by a cooperative effort between Bob Barnett (Mr. Dirt) and Mountainspeed. The original ISCG was a huge success but was originally planned to fit only standard bottom bracket types. With the widespread use of BMX type bottom brackets and the introduction of the ISIS Overdrive standard, a new chainguide mounting standard was needed.
    The ISCG 05 project has been in the making for over a year at this time. While developing this new standard, we decided to start with a clean sheet of paper and incorporate everything that we had learned about chainguides and mounting since 2000. In April of 2003, the basis of the new standard was proposed. Industry wide, there was much great feedback given. At Interbike 2003, members of the ISCG 05 consortium met in person and discussed the details of this proposed new standard. Revisions were made, and ISCG 05 was born! Special thanks go to George Dubois of Truvativ for taking the time to spread the word about ISCG 05 to product developers around the bicycle industry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sure, I knew that ISCG and ISCG '05 were different, but the post above implies there is *another* variation of ISCG (not '05) which I've never heard about and I don't think is mentioned on the e13 or ISCG sites, no?

mtbr member
    do you mean the ISCG "Old" version...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    do you mean the ISCG "Old" version...?
    I was replying to bikehick's post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikehick

My point is, I always assumed "ISCG" and "ISCG old" are the same thing, bikehick implies they are not.

mtbr member
    To my knowledge he is correct, there are 3 different clocking version that being ISCG, ISCG 05 and ISCG Old. I am assuming here as I have not read on it much (surprisingly) but Old version I think there were 2 diferent clocking mounts that had diferent diameters though.But somebody correct me here if I am wrong...I am not an ISCG expert, he he he.

But for my XO I placed the ISCG version on mine and it required modding to the rotational tab slots in the bracket itself so that better and more adjustment could be made as the original adjustment was OK, but not enough for my liking.

Therefore, I think the ISCG old would be a more correct fit however, there are not many products that use that format (some but not many) and I do not think BlackSpire manufacture any within the OLD format. BUT...what is smart with their design is that they have MORE than enough rotational adjustment to make up for this so either way, you will have no problems to my knowledge if you ordered the ISCG model for the GRX-1,2,0.

This Link here ONLY explains the ISCG transition to the ISCG 05 mounting system but what is also interesting is that a great majority and variety of bikes barely fit any of the standards.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    pretty confusing here

so my '08 Reign X1 has what mounts?

Any more input from ppl who actually mounted something on please...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    All the Reign x's even the new 2010 are ISCG not ISCG 05.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

i swear man.

man i ordered all three till one fir my 08 reign x frame. it is an iscg old, not iscg or 05, yes they are all different. i am not a crackhead, and work at a shop... it will work mane.... my e13 fit great, and i beat the hell out of it....

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i have a 09' reign x and i am thinking of hammerschmidt. didn't know if it would fit on the reigns.