mtbr member
    Apr 2008

08 Reign X0 rear axle options?

I'm new to the world of bigger bikes and thru-axles and all that.

that said, i'm getting new wheels for my X0, as i really do not like the WTB wheelset that came on the bike (only thing that dissapointed me)

Do i have the option of running any kind of thru-axle on the rear of this bike, or am i stuck with the wimpy QR axle?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You're stuck with the QR. Some bikes come w/ rremovable hangers to change axle diameter, but not the Reign Xs.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008

Bologna!!!

You can too run a thru axle on the Reign X. I run the DT 10mm thru bolt system on my '08 Reign X1. So yes, you can run the thru axle / thru bolt on a Reign X. You just have to know which one. You can't do the 12mm without doing some frame modification with a grinder, which voids the warranty, but you can use the DT 10mm system. Mine's an FR440 hub with a 135 x 10 mm thru bolt. It does make it somewhat stiffer in the rear end and you get rid of some flex at the axle. Good luck and hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    really? I stand corrected. I'll have to look into that myself.

mtbr member
    You can run the DTSwiss QR 10mm axle which is a beauty and used on most hubs as long as you get the length correct.

Ill be converting mine soon with Hope Pro 2 hubs, 20mmFr and 10mmRr have not chosen hoops yet...?

Any ideas...? Cyclos.........etc etc. Im still out for shopping.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I've had really good luck with the Sun Singletrack rims that I'm running. I have a cruddy front hub, but my rear hub is awesome. I don't know if the guy that built the wheels up for me just did an awesome job, or if just got a really good set of rims. I've used them for DH and Super D racing 4 times this season, and use them all the time for goofing off around town. I've heard the MTX rims are good too, just don't have any experience with them. I'm not a fan of Mavic though. Kinda expensive for shoddy workmanship IMO. If I had the cash I'd get some Spinergy Xyclone's though. I loved my old Spinergy's and they held up to some brutal stuff.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    You can run the DTSwiss QR 10mm axle which is a beauty and used on most hubs as long as you get the length correct.

Ill be converting mine soon with Hope Pro 2 hubs, 20mmFr and 10mmRr have not chosen hoops yet...?

Any ideas...? Cyclos.........etc etc. Im still out for shopping.
    I would get the 10mm bolt-on rather than the QR. The rachet handle thing is not robust... and it seems to come loose if not done up very tight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i'm looking at either i9 enduros in a pewter spoke/copper hub combo, or the mavic crossmax SX's which people seem to really like and they would look freakin amazing against the gray color of the X0.

however, i'm not sure on the engagement and quality of the mavic hubs as opposed to the i9's and even Kings.

i want a wheelset that can do it all without having to worry, and it wouldnt hurt if it was lighter than the WTB set thats on there now.

so all i would need is the DT 10mm thru axle, and i can use that with any hub as long as i get the hub in 135mm X 10mm?

mtbr member
    thanks for the heads up Haggis. I did also hear similar things from 2 others that the QR does come loose if not done tight and 3 others who said that the handle system is not very burly either and well...I plain thought to just try one... I already have a 10mm bolt ready to put in, but I really wanted to try the QR aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    I would get the 10mm bolt-on rather than the QR. The rachet handle thing is not robust... and it seems to come loose if not done up very tight.
    I have a set of King earls already set up on another bike for DH Race and wanted to get a set for Fr. Its always good to see what other peeps think is good to try, you know...keep an open mind.

I also am not a fan of Mavic though - which is not to say that they are bad, just not my cup-o-tea.

Flaccid Member
    You need 10mm opening end piece spacers for your hub for the 10mm through axle... the QR release are 5mm openings.

mtbr member
    I am always taking off my wheels for transportation because even the nearest trail for me - ironically surrounded by mountains really; is about a 10Min drive and I have to bring all my stuff, so the QR would be more of an everyday ride application and the dedicated 10mm would be for racing - which does not happen as often as it used to.

But Randyboy, the DT QR system requires the 5mm adaptions, could you possible give me a link to the correct version needed, thanks.

mtbr member
    Thanks RB...Ill check it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    you can also run 12mm x 135 thru axle but you nee a stepdown axle.... the are pretty common i run one with my azonic outlaws and my rocky mountain flow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skiz
    you can also run 12mm x 135 thru axle but you nee a stepdown axle.... the are pretty common i run one with my azonic outlaws and my rocky mountain flow.
    ill second that ive got outlaws on my x1 got a mate to machine the 12mm down to 10 mm-two 9mm slots either side of 135mm.still the momentum/step down axel from azonic might put your mind at ease,but i am sure mine is just as strong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can also use a Hope Pro2 10mm bolt up hub, which uses two bolts at the ends which screw into the hub, instead of a proper through axle. Much stiffer than a QR. I use this hub on my previous yeti AS-X and now on my Prophet.
    Swedish trail/AM/Enduro/DH-rider - Currently rides Spitfire V2 & Devinci Wilson SL. Spending the summer 2013 in Whistler, BC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I know I'm coming late with this one but being very new at bike mechanic, I would like to know if I can apply any of these solution to the stock rear hub that came with my reign x1 2008. Its a shimano HUB, here is the link to shimano site:
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html

I always close the qr as tight as I can and despite my light weight (145 pounds), the rear is very flexy.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I use the DT Swiss RWS 10mm skewer with my I9's on my RX. Slick set up. Its a bonus not having to carry a big open-end wrench in my pack for flats too.

mtbr member
    Yeah I think for just clawning around on the trail in a kind of free ride/ light DH fashion then the DT QR system would be fine enough. I also like to change tyres often than not to just experiment with different treads for different conditions, so the QR is a no brainer really. Yet, I do worry "somewhat" about it coming loose in any eventual situation. I tend to ride very hard, in that I really push the envelope on what I can do and what I think I can or want to do.

Although I have not heard of anybodies wheels coming off yet...

Banshee rider...you sir are a distraction in the worst way. Man, I keep looking at your handle pic of the girls hot arse and well...that all I can do is just stare at it...he he he NICE NICE NICE now, where is the whipped cream and honey. J/K...

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Don't worry about it coming loose. They essentially work like a wrench and nut, only the wrench is your quick release lever. I've never had mine come loose, and have never seen one come loose by the people I ride with. You'll be fine, regardless of how hard you ride.

Her name is keira augustina. Look her up on google, but don't come complaining to me when your wifes pissed because you don't come to bed until late every night.

mtbr member
    Yep...she is a bad girl!!!!