mtbr member
    Oct 2007

08 kona dawg deluxe vs 08 trance x 2

SO what do you ugys think? I know this forum will [robably be a bit biased but since i'm already an anthem owner I'm more interested in your guys opinion. I think the kit out for the kona is a bit better then the trance x2. Wuould the suspension design really be that big of a difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen939
    SO what do you ugys think? I know this forum will [robably be a bit biased but since i'm already an anthem owner I'm more interested in your guys opinion. I think the kit out for the kona is a bit better then the trance x2. Wuould the suspension design really be that big of a difference?
    The suspension will be a BIG difference. Daylight and dark IMO.

Have you compared, on the trail, single pivot (Kona) to more modern rear suspension
    designs? Have a go at slamming on the brakes during a rocky descent while at speed on
    the Kona. Tell us what you find.

Remember, you can replace all the components, you are "stuck" with the suspension.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The only thing I'm worried about on the trancex2 is that I can't swap the rear shock since it has that proprietary length.

mtbr member
    If you're the type of rider who swaps shocks, then don't get the Trance X. Fortunately for Giant most riders don't swap shocks, and fortunately for riders Giant specs Fox shocks, which perform great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the kona suspension is fantastic. im selling my trance for a dawg. maestro is a great suspension as well, but it definitely has its major downfalls. you gotta remember that this is a people powered sport, on the trail YOU determine if you're gonna rail those corners and clean that technical climb.

shocks these days are great, and kona has their rear end dialed in very nicely. it just works. the dawg is MUCH more slack.. this can be a good or bad thing (i think its good, works for me). the kona runs a standard shock length, you can replace it with whatever you want. you're stuck with the giants custom length fox.

they're not very similar bikes.. the rear travel is similar, but thats about it. the trancex is more long travel xc, the dawg is more "AM".

mtbr member
    Tomsmoto, what are the major downfalls you've found?

I am of the opinion that the Trance X is a great, underrated, bike. The frame is light and the suspension is efficient, so it would make a formidable xc weapon. At the same time, the frame is also stiff, strong, and plush enough to be built up as a fierce trail/AM bike.

By switching wheelsets, rubber, and/or forks the Trance X can fit into a few categories (XC/Trail/AM) very well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    very high shock rate.. doesnt work well for big riders pushing bikes hard. on the old trance, couldnt run a coil. on the new one, cant run anything besides a giant/fox shock. some people wont notice or care about things like that.. some will.

for xc racing id take an anthem over a hei hei. for a freeride bike id take a reignx over a coiler.. for 5 inch trail bikes, the dawg offers up more of what i want.

giant makes GREAT bikes. if the trance x used a 7.875x2 standard shock, and was maybe a degree slacker, it would be in my garage right now with no thoughts about a kona.. but they dont make that bike..

if you're looking for a 69.5 hta 5 inch air shock bike, yeah go for the trance x..

mtbr member
    Solid points. I see how the Dawg is definitely a bike that fits your needs better than the Trance X.

And I agree regarding the 69.5 HA. While I thought it worked well with the F120, I much prefer the Trance X with a 140mm Pike and a ~68.25 HA. At the same time, I'm sure there are many other riders that would consider the 69.5 HA ideal.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    very high shock rate.. doesnt work well for big riders pushing bikes hard. on the old trance, couldnt run a coil. on the new one, cant run anything besides a giant/fox shock. some people wont notice or care about things like that.. some will.

if the trance x used a 7.875x2 standard shock, and was maybe a degree slacker, it would be in my garage right now with no thoughts about a kona.. but they dont make that bike..
    How about a Reign? I believe it has both the lower shock rate and the shock size you mentioned.

Or is it just too much bike?

I'm not asking to be a smarta** but rather because I'm on an '07 Dawg and thinking about swapping the parts over to a Reign.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the great discussion guys. I've owned an 08 kona dawg deluxe for a month now. I've logged a little over 100 miles and I just can't get the bike to feel right. I love the plush feeling of the suspension but railing downhill the bike doesn't inspire as much confidence as my 06 anthem2. I'm no pro mountain biker by any means. But I know what feels right to me and what doesn't.

My plan was to grab a trance x2 frame and swap over just about all the components from my dawg to it. I figure the 140mm fox fork would give the trance more of a plush feeling. While the maestro suspension would give me back a bit more of the feeling of my anthem. Does this make any sense at all?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i think something needs adjusting.. the dawg has ~40mm more travel up front, and nearly 3 degrees slacker ht angles.. it should be MUCH more stable pointing down.

it might just not be the bike for you, but if your anthem felt more stable pointing down, something might not be right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I set the suspension up for my weight properly. The bike doesn't feel stable when i'm late braking right before throwing the bike into the turn. It feels like the front end wants to wash out on me. I know that it probably won't But the feedback that i'm used to on my anthem isn't there. The tires are off of my anthem so I know they can't be the issue. I just think it's comes down to my riding style. Or maybe I just need more time in the dawg saddle?

mtbr member
    i think something needs adjusting.. the dawg has ~40mm more travel up front, and nearly 3 degrees slacker ht angles.. it should be MUCH more stable pointing down.

it might just not be the bike for you, but if your anthem felt more stable pointing down, something might not be right.

I don't know where you are getting your numbers but according to the Kona website, The 2007 Dawg has a 68.5 deg HA with 120mm fork. 1 degree different from the Trance X in stock form.
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/D...UXE/index.html

The 2009 Dawg has a 68.8 deg HA with 140mm fork.
    http://www.konaworld.com/09_dawgdeluxe_u.cfm

wait...what?
    wait a second...if you have the "giant" brand air shock, how do you get a float?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen939
    I set the suspension up for my weight properly. The bike doesn't feel stable when i'm late braking right before throwing the bike into the turn. It feels like the front end wants to wash out on me. I know that it probably won't But the feedback that i'm used to on my anthem isn't there. The tires are off of my anthem so I know they can't be the issue. I just think it's comes down to my riding style. Or maybe I just need more time in the dawg saddle?
    You are probably feeling the Kona "brake jacking". Single pivots have a tendency to stiffen and extend the suspension a little bit when hard braking. This would actually steepen the bike. The Kona "Dope" system would probably help alot. I am not guaranteeing it is happening but it sounds like it. The Maestro suspension should remain more active and possibly squat a little when braking which may be why you feel more stable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The Kona suspension is nowhere near as sophisticated as the Maestro suspension on the Giant TX. The Kona lacks small bump sensitivity, relies on propedal platform damping to climb efficiently, stiffens up under braking and steers heavy in tight single track.

The Trance X is an ideal all around trail bike. It does a lot of stuff very well. The Kona is more of a short travel all mountain bike than an all around trail bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I don't know where you are getting your numbers but according to the Kona website, The 2007 Dawg has a 68.5 deg HA with 120mm fork. 1 degree different from the Trance X in stock form.
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/D...UXE/index.html

The 2009 Dawg has a 68.8 deg HA with 140mm fork.
    http://www.konaworld.com/09_dawgdeluxe_u.cfm
    he didnt have a trancex. he had an anthem, which if you read the thread is what he was comparing it to 68.2 hta on the dawg, 71 on the anthem.. 3 degrees man.

mtbr member
    he didnt have a trancex. he had an anthem, which if you read the thread is what he was comparing it to 68.2 hta on the dawg, 71 on the anthem.. 3 degrees man.
    Gothcha, Thanks for the clarification.

Does anybody know if Kona sells the Dope system for the Dawg?