mtbr member
    Feb 2009

08 Giant Trance 2 for first time FS buyer

I have been out of the mountain bike game for a while, but I want to get back in. I plan on riding trails, not so much drops, and I probably dont be able to stop myself from hitting jumps and stuff. This bike caught my eye because of the price.

http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=4705#reviews

I am having a hard time finding information on this particular Trance because all I see are the more expensive higher end Trance's. So my question is, why is this particular one so cheap? It has the Maestro suspension and nice components. I guess it's because of the cheaper forks and rear shock? I notice the higher end Trance's come with a Fox rear shock while this one comes with a Giant shock, so is the Giant shock not that good? If later on i wanted to upgrade the forks and rear shock to give me more travel and higher end would it make this bike equivalant to the $2000+ Trance's I see elsewhere? Or is this particular bike limited and just a cheap alternative?

Gig'em Aggies!
    I can't answer your questions but here is another great price that is worth looking at:

2008 Trance X2

wait...what?
    I bought a 2008 trance 2, lowered the price down to $800...Nice for small jumps and drops, makes a nice trail bike...even some all mountain...It came with a crappy marzocchi fork, so I just bought a pike on ebay...I plan on upgrading my rear shock, too...

actually, since everyone seems to be short on money, I'm gonna wait 'till it breaks...Im pretty light, anyways...