mtbr member
    Apr 2007

'08 to '09 Trance 2 Differences? Frame/Components?

I hope I am not being bad in starting a new thread, but I am really curious if anybody can point out the differences between last year's model and the new one.
    And it seems as the going price for last year's is around $800, and the new one is $1100, and I am wondering if it is worth it to step up to the '09 model.
    Thanks,
    Lyndon
    Salt Lake City
    P.S. I test rode it today, and you sure don't want to stand up and crank it on this model.
    Or am I riding it wrong. Seemed like pogo city.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Probably wasnt setup for your weight???? If the shocks are set properly you should find the Trance to be very good when out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A-Non-A,
    I am thinking the same thing. Can you give me a link to a thread about adjusting that
    OEM rear shock on the Trance? I'm a newbie with this stuff...hardtail only.
    Lyndon

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon
    A-Non-A,
    I am thinking the same thing. Can you give me a link to a thread about adjusting that
    OEM rear shock on the Trance? I'm a newbie with this stuff...hardtail only.
    Lyndon

Hopefully someone will chime in with a link to recommended shock PSI as i just purchased a 08 Trance X2 and want to make sure that I am setup right for my riding weight. I have been away from cycling for 10 years but I can tell you that in testing FS bikes..... The Trance was the best I tested when out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the help, GT5050, but I was referring to the lowly Trance 2, unless all of the
    Trance series received the X designation, but I don't think so.

The X series has another inch of travel, no? Perhaps there was in '08, the lower series, Trance 3 through 1, and there was only one X. Now I'm sounding like the Highlander... There can only be one! Cue:Lightning and Thunder!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Are you talking about US Dollars? The 2008 Trance X2 retailed for $1900, and the 2009 retail is $2800. That said, the 2009 X2 is actually comparable to the 2008 X1, as it is essentially the same components and all the numbers got shifted up. So, for accurate comparison, 2008 X2 = 2009 X3, which retails for $2050.

2008 X2

2009 X3

2009 X2

As for shock setup, set sag to .44"-.53" according to Giant. I found on my bike that a good starting point is to inflate the psi to roughly equivalent of body weight, and check sag from there. It should get you pretty close, then you can make some minor adjustments from there.

Maestro Guide

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon
    Thanks for the help, GT5050, but I was referring to the lowly Trance 2, unless all of the
    Trance series received the X designation, but I don't think so.

The X series has another inch of travel, no? Perhaps there was in '08, the lower series, Trance 3 through 1, and there was only one X. Now I'm sounding like the Highlander... There can only be one! Cue:Lightning and Thunder!!!!
    Well then, in that case, 2008 was the final year of the regular Trance, I don't know what '09 model they would have...