mtbr member
    Feb 2008

07 or 08/09 Reign.

I'm looking at 2 bike a used 07 and a new 08 Reign.I was hoping i could find someone that has ridden both and give me some feedback.The bike will be ridden all mtn/freeride.I plan on putting a Fox rc2 for little more travel and the 20mm, axle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I depends on the priorities, weight, HA, riding style & build components.

The 07 frame is heavier than the 08 or 09 by about 1.5lbs and will not accommodate a piggyback shock. I have seen numerous 05-07 reigns built up with a 160mm fork and hitting some pretty tough terrain.

The 08 Reign is pretty light (about 6.4lbs for a med), I am liking mine so far with the RP23. I might consider also running a coil just to see how it feels. HA is 69 degrees with a 140mm shock. I also run mine with travel adjust fork with 160mm travel, bringing it in at about 67.5 - 68 degrees.

The 09 reign is pretty much the same as the 08 but the HA is slackened to 68 degrees with a 140mm fork. Given the choice I would take the 09 over the 08, just because I could run the bike very slack 66.5 - 67 degrees for the downhill and then drop the fork to 120-140mm and rail through the berms and tight single track.

If you like slack HA then the 09 is likely the best bet. Mine 08 with a 160mm fork feels decently slack when the fork is fully extended, yet can climb the steepest of hills with the travel reduced. Usually the legs or lungs give out before I loose traction or lift the front end off the ground.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall
    I depends on the priorities, weight, HA, riding style & build components.

The 07 frame is heavier than the 08 or 09 by about 1.5lbs and will not accommodate a piggyback shock. I have seen numerous 05-07 reigns built up with a 160mm fork and hitting some pretty tough terrain.

The 08 Reign is pretty light (about 6.4lbs for a med), I am liking mine so far with the RP23. I might consider also running a coil just to see how it feels. HA is 69 degrees with a 140mm shock. I also run mine with travel adjust fork with 160mm travel, bringing it in at about 67.5 - 68 degrees.

The 09 reign is pretty much the same as the 08 but the HA is slackened to 68 degrees with a 140mm fork. Given the choice I would take the 09 over the 08, just because I could run the bike very slack 66.5 - 67 degrees for the downhill and then drop the fork to 120-140mm and rail through the berms and tight single track.

If you like slack HA then the 09 is likely the best bet. Mine 08 with a 160mm fork feels decently slack when the fork is fully extended, yet can climb the steepest of hills with the travel reduced. Usually the legs or lungs give out before I loose traction or lift the front end off the ground.

I mainly do all mountain riding.I like the idea of being able to run differant shocks on the 08/09 and the weight savings.I found a pretty sweat deal on a 08 complete im probably going to jump on.

Thanks for the reply.